Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fox ,a runner

fox ,a runner

out Friday night for a quick look on 2 small farms next to one another ,had a look round and saw nothing .out with the vixen call and within 3mins a set of eyes on a bank around 150m away.we lamp on foot at this place and I have been using a nightmaster 800 for spotting the last few trips as I find it will light up the eyes at over 600m and seems to cause less spooking than the lightforce ,anyway my lamp man still uses the lightforce for the shot and 100% id,sat looking at us ,onto the sticks,usual top of the chest blaze bang and thump ,another 58grain victim.quiet walk over to the bank which overlooks the biggest field on the permission,as I now always call again after shooting 1 fox as its suprising how often they are with a partner, no joy this time so go and pick up the shot fox-cannot find it???standing on the bank we see a shadow on the winter wheat about 75m away in the field .basically the fox had gone over a sheep fence and ditch and 75m out into the field.its dead as a dodo and the shot had hit in the windpipe spot on the money and exit hole was back of the neck slightly to the left of the spine not a huge hole but you could easily push your thumb into it 20mm plus.i would have expected this fox to drop on the spot,he was around 20lb and in good condition.shot must have not have hit any bone ,as they are fantastic little bullets the 58grn v-max and produce massive trauma.

Quote Originally Posted by derek.snr View Post
    out Friday night for a quick look on 2 small farms next to one another ,had a look round and saw nothing .out with the vixen call and within 3mins a set of eyes on a bank around 150m away.we lamp on foot at this place and I have been using a nightmaster 800 for spotting the last few trips as I find it will light up the eyes at over 600m and seems to cause less spooking than the lightforce ,anyway my lamp man still uses the lightforce for the shot and 100% id,sat looking at us ,onto the sticks,usual top of the chest blaze bang and thump ,another 58grain victim.quiet walk over to the bank which overlooks the biggest field on the permission,as I now always call again after shooting 1 fox as its suprising how often they are with a partner, no joy this time so go and pick up the shot fox-cannot find it???standing on the bank we see a shadow on the winter wheat about 75m away in the field .basically the fox had gone over a sheep fence and ditch and 75m out into the field.its dead as a dodo and the shot had hit in the windpipe spot on the money and exit hole was back of the neck slightly to the left of the spine not a huge hole but you could easily push your thumb into it 20mm plus.i would have expected this fox to drop on the spot,he was around 20lb and in good condition.shot must have not have hit any bone ,as they are fantastic little bullets the 58grn v-max and produce massive trauma.
    Derek, I have lost many a fox in years gone by, all shot with V max,properly shot,dead on their feet,...... found later in ditches fields away, or rolled up in wrapped bales, changed to Nosler bt's none lost since.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

might reload a few 75grn vmax and try them ,upto a few weeks ago I used my standard 100 grn soft point deer round ,as it saved rezeroing.the 58s are a flat shooting round though .

I would have said very unusual, 60 grn v max normaly results in a very dead fox, v rarely a runner only due to leg strike but fortunatly so much trauma that a second shot brings swift demise. However must say mine is 1:8 so bullet is spinning very rapidly which may enhance bullet fragmentation.

D

Did the same the other day sat in a high seat fox comes along and sits facing me at 60 yds. Cross hairs smack in the middle of the chest and away goes a 55 grain Hornaday balistic tip in .223. Fox does a back flip into a ditch. When I went to collect, it wasn't there, plenty of white fur & blood but couldn't find the fox. Along comes a roe doe, 20 yds walking, dropped on the spot
    Wingy

Done the same myself on more than one occasion, its bloody frustrating. .

looks like I a not the only one who has a problem with this bullet head.its a confidence thing now ,time for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    Did the same the other day sat in a high seat fox comes along and sits facing me at 60 yds. Cross hairs smack in the middle of the chest and away goes a 55 grain Hornaday balistic tip in .223. Fox does a back flip into a ditch. When I went to collect, it wasn't there, plenty of white fur & blood but couldn't find the fox. Along comes a roe doe, 20 yds walking, dropped on the spot
    Wingy
    I take it you were shooting in Scotland not Wigan!

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    I take it you were shooting in Scotland not Wigan!
    Of course, on our syndicate in Dumfries

That's interesting, I have never had a fox run on when shot with 58gr vmax. I do shoot quite a few, over a good few years.. They normally produce massive wound channels, and impart massive trauma.
    Matty