Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teckels - Smooths versus Wirehair

Teckels - Smooths versus Wirehair

As far as generalities go, which are better for hunting with regards to hunt drive and intelligence?

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I think mines the stupidest dog I have ever owned and will happily hunt without you 1000yds away, if you don't have him on a lead. Eventually he will come back, after he has cleared the county of any game. Mines is a wirehair that leads with his left foot.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

I think the genuine Teckel working lines are wirehaired. Smoothhaired varieties are more likely to be from Dauchund lines. Don't take my word for it as I'm no expert. Will follow the thread to see if I'm right or not!

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    I think the genuine Teckel working lines are wirehaired. Smoothhaired varieties are more likely to be from Dauchund lines. Don't take my word for it as I'm no expert. Will follow the thread to see if I'm right or not!
    In Germany, I don't think they make a distinction between the two.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    I think mines the stupidest dog I have ever owned and will happily hunt without you 1000yds away, if you don't have him on a lead. Eventually he will come back, after he has cleared the county of any game. Mines is a wirehair that leads with his left foot.
    Glyn, You have a smart hunting Teckle doing what teckles do.

I have a wire haired hunting teckle, but there are good tracking ,hunting lines of short haired teckle out there as well. Hair length is just a matter of taste.

Johner , a member on SD has a nice short haired Teckle in training.
    Last edited by Jagare; 15-12-2013 at 18:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    Glyn, You have a smart hunting Teckle doing what teckles do.

I have a wire haired hunting teckle, but there are good tracking ,hunting lines of short haired teckle out there as well. Hair length is just a matter of taste.

Johner , a member on SD has a nice short haired Teckle in training.
    I think the wirehaired are more popular here in Norway but there are still quite a few people using the short haired, it's more important to get one from good hunting lines than worry about the coat.

My dog is 7 months old now and is getting more and more confident alone in the forest, he will quite happily search a few hundred meters from me and then if he picks up fresh scent he's off.

Here's a pic of him last week with his GPS vest on.

I was out with him today in the snow and he was still managing to cover good ground.
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

Quote Originally Posted by Jonher View Post
    I think the wirehaired are more popular here in Norway but there are still quite a few people using the short haired, it's more important to get one from good hunting lines than worry about the coat.

My dog is 7 months old now and is getting more and more confident alone in the forest, he will quite happily search a few hundred meters from me and then if he picks up fresh scent he's off.

I was out with him today in the snow and he was still managing to cover good ground.

Johner, are talking about driven hunts? Because if it is for stalking I donīt get what you dog is doing. Mine is much better for flushing deer than for stalking by my side, unfortunately for me. However, very good in tracking cold lines.

As far as hunting drive is concerned, I think itīs not a matter of the coat, it is inherited and may differ a lot from each dog. Iīve seen both types with and without "hunting drive".

Quote Originally Posted by th32 View Post
    Johner, are talking about driven hunts? Because if it is for stalking I donīt get what you dog is doing. Mine is much better for flushing deer than for stalking by my side, unfortunately for me. However, very good in tracking cold lines.

As far as hunting drive is concerned, I think itīs not a matter of the coat, it is inherited and may differ a lot from each dog. Iīve seen both types with and without "hunting drive".
    Hi, yes in Scandinavia we use the to teckel to search out and then drive the deer around in a terrain where hunters are already at posts. We also use them for blood tracking.

I can't imagine stalking with a teckel, all the ones I've seen go nuts when they get fresh scent.
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

I see your crocodile has got a shark suit for xmas :-@
    Good looking dog.
    Toby

Hi, yes in Scandinavia we use the to teckel to search out and then drive the deer around in a terrain where hunters are already at posts. We also use them for blood tracking.

I can't imagine stalking with a teckel, all the ones I've seen go nuts when they get fresh scent.
    My smoothhair is more controllable than the wirehair and it stays closer during the stalk but I haven't seen enough of them to work to make a call on whether is just an individual thing or a generic trait.