Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 243 tight in Krico - Is neck bump die the solution?

243 tight in Krico - Is neck bump die the solution?

Hi all, I have been reloading for my Krico for several months now and cannot overcome a problem with extremely tight brass chambering. The OAL is correct and the round is definitely not touching the lands, however it always requires a real effort to lock the bolt down. No probs with factory ammo.
    The reload is neck size only (Lee collet die) and shows no signs of over pressure. (35grn N140, 87 grn, Vmax head at 10 thou off the lands - set using a Hornady OAL gauge). I don't have this problem with any of my other rifles.
    The Krico shoots lovely and is a nice light rifle but I just cannot get over this problem.
    I showed it to a mate at the range last weekend and he reckons that a Redding neck bump die is the answer.
    Been loading for as long as I can remember (the good old days of handguns) but never had anything like this or heard of a neck bump die.
    Anyone else had similar problems with tight chambers?
    thanks
    steve

What length are you trimming brass to???

Neck sizing is great but after doing it a few times you may still need to full length resize so as to set the shoulder back slightly.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I suggest you full length resize your brass every time and then you can concentrate on your shooting. Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by stecad View Post
    Hi all, I have been reloading for my Krico for several months now and cannot overcome a problem with extremely tight brass chambering. The OAL is correct and the round is definitely not touching the lands, however it always requires a real effort to lock the bolt down. No probs with factory ammo.
    The reload is neck size only (Lee collet die) and shows no signs of over pressure. (35grn N140, 87 grn, Vmax head at 10 thou off the lands - set using a Hornady OAL gauge). I don't have this problem with any of my other rifles.
    The Krico shoots lovely and is a nice light rifle but I just cannot get over this problem.
    I showed it to a mate at the range last weekend and he reckons that a Redding neck bump die is the answer.
    Been loading for as long as I can remember (the good old days of handguns) but never had anything like this or heard of a neck bump die.
    Anyone else had similar problems with tight chambers?
    thanks
    steve
    Shoulder bump die. It is probably better for you to full length size, will achieve the same result as a shoulder bump.

Hi all, many thanks for the advice. I always trim the brass to the length of the Lee trim guide and will measure a sample with the micrometer to double check.
    Happy to FL resize as this does seem to be the best way. Life's too short to be messing about too much. Reloading rifle cases is a hobby in itself and i'd really rather be out pulling triggers.
    thanks
    steve

Get yourself a head space measuring setup so you can measure exactly what size your cases are - then (when you know what the problem is you can eliminate it)
    Anneal the case mouth & shoulder & then full length size to bump the shoulder back more easily.
    I've found that some dies & shell holders allow more bump back than others too. - Particularly if they are from different manufacturers.

Ian

Your response shows a lot of sense. You have a current problem which, clearly, you need to address. If you can do this with the reloading kit already at your disposal and which you already know how to use, so much the better. The alternative is to set about sourcing a bump die involving more expense, more learning how to use a new bit of kit and, quite possibly, some delay whilst the bump die can be found and shipped to you.

Coming back to your original post, there's a suggestion that you may have more than one rifle in .243? Were that to be the case (pun alert), full length sizing every time is the alternative to keeping your brass separated rifle by rifle. Or maybe you reload for a number of calibres and don't experience this problem with them.

Quote Originally Posted by stecad View Post
    Hi all, many thanks for the advice. I always trim the brass to the length of the Lee trim guide and will measure a sample with the micrometer to double check.
    Happy to FL resize as this does seem to be the best way. Life's too short to be messing about too much. Reloading rifle cases is a hobby in itself and i'd really rather be out pulling triggers.
    thanks
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    Get yourself a head space measuring setup so you can measure exactly what size your cases are - then (when you know what the problem is you can eliminate it) Ian
    +1 - a Hornady/Stoney Point guage will help get this just right. You very probably have a slightly over long case shoulder preventing smooth chambering. As previously mentioned F/L resizing should address the issue and this can be most accurately done setting your FL die using the guage. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

HI Tikkathreebarrells, thanks for the comments. I reload for 308, 6.5 and 7.62 (military rifle with real sights) and don't have this problem. At risk of kicking off a major debate I bought the 6.5 this year to see if it is really a "do it all" round and reckon it is. It's a Tikka M690 that had hardly been used, light to carry, points naturally and shoots like a dream.