Updating a Sako Finnbear

chiron

I own a Sako Finnbear in .270 win only changes are a Timney trigger and Lawrence Precision mod . Lovely rifle but getting tired and I am thinking about in a refurb -may be a new stock from Joe West pillar bedded and glassed and possibly a rebarrel. Whats the views - will I waste my money? Will I ruin a bit of a classic?Should I buy a new Sako? Just a thought at the moment but all views /thought welcome

Does it still shoot well? Probably answers your question re a rebarrel - maybe a re crown is all that necessary. Regarding the stock a bit a clean and a few coats of stock oil does wonders. If there are big dents then a damp towel and an iron soon raises them. Checkering can be refreshed etc. bedding -easy enough to redo or indeed pillar and glass if needed. I would nt waste your money on a new stock etc unless yours is just a bit of railway sleeper.

Have already done the stock sadly it did not come up that well. Quite a bit of the checkering is damaged. Barrel was shortened and recrowned when mod fitted and it still quite accurate -probably operator error rather than rifle gives wider groups at 200m than might be classed as ideal ie circa 6". So my thoughts were to eliminate stock movement as original stock is not that stiff.

According to some one here barrels on stalking rifles don't get shot out ! :stir:

But in all seriousness bear in mind the money you spend you are not likely to get back in value on the rifle. If you have lost confidence in the rifle and you are likely to still fancy something new after doing work to it you might as well buy a new one now.

You could find someone with a borescope to have a closer look at the barrel. If o.k from there I might recrown and look at the bedding. I don't know what you have done to the stock but more than likely you can strip it back and have another go.

I would trade it in and get a new sako. By the time you spent on barrel. Stock and bedding work. It would be cheaper to buy a new sako. Which will have a warrenty etc

Sounds that something is definitely amiss with your Finnbear....have it checked out before you go any further and spend a lot of your hard earned cash. They are truly wonderful rifles when everything is in good order.

It could end up being like Arkwrights brush but worth it if your action is anything like my finnbear. spend abit of time looking at the stock to see if thats the problem area then you can move on the checkering could be taken back to stipple the cut outs if you wish or recut the chequering.
If it is the barrel i would get it re done as someone else said its worth it for the action as im my mind these are far smother than newer models,atb wayne

There are a few lads on our East coast that have built lightweight 270 hunting rifles on Sako/Tikka and Rem clones with modern match barrels. The accuracy of these rifles even with bog standard Fiocchi SST factory ammo is outstanding. Capable of shooting rabbits at 700yds. I wouldn't be a fan of a 270 but these guys and the rifle builder have it down to a fine art. (Dom's Custom Rifles)
I would choose a custom barrel in any action over any factory rifle.
edi

Back