Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got granted a 270

Just got granted a 270

Hi just been granted permission for a 270, I just wondered your veiws on what make and model to go for without going stupid on price?

one that is local you can pick up ideally test shoot and fits you!!!

you don't say what you budget is.
    plenty of these on RFD shelves that don't sell
    Its not a "fashionable" chambering so ball is partially in your court when it comes to haggling, but in my experience RFD's often prefer to hold onto something to fill the shelves than let an old beater out the door for less than half the price of a new one!

One of the best calibres ever made by mortal man and will do most things better than the `fashionable` modern crappers and only surpassed by its father, the venerable .30-06 .

HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by Surgemaster34 View Post
    Hi just been granted permission for a 270, I just wondered your veiws on what make and model to go for without going stupid on price?
    Which specific 270? Win? WSM? Weatherby? http://www.chuckhawks.com/270family.htm Regards JCS

you don't say what your tastes are but for 450 pounds i would be buying this
    For Sale: Mannlicher model m72 stutzen
    a true classic that will do all you want and more,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

on my second 270, been to Africa four times. and using Barnes TTXs or 160gn partitions has always done the job, pick the one that feels good in your hands etc, as you would a shotgun, had a Mannlicher model M for years and loved it, as I now do my 202 Sauer. deerwarden

Got a lovely Sauer 202 for sale. Was asking 1550 but make a sensible offer this side of Christmas.

SD Regular
    It depends on if you are going down the moderated route or not. Personally I don't have a moderator on any of my rifles except my rimfire. The 270 is, unless you have a long barrel, no more nor less efficient that a 260 Remington, 7mm-08 or even .308 Winchester. So I'd go for absolutely nothing less than twenty-two inches with twenty-four inches as the far better choice.

Why? Because that big case works best with slow powders work best in long barrels. Plus if you do use factory ammunition, and especially 130 grain bullets, short barrels will give both muzzle flash and muzzle blast making it unpleasant to shoot. If you can also avoid light rifles less than eight or nine pounds weight without a 'scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Surgemaster34 View Post
    Try and find a Sako 75 as a first choice, if not that a Tikka 690/695.

Ian.

Welcome aboard. Awesome calibre !