Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a Second Rifle - Variation Request Wording

Getting a Second Rifle - Variation Request Wording

I'd like to get a second .308. Probably another Tikka M65 but in a Sporter stock with a target barrel. Main reason being I don't want to shoot out my stalking rifle and I'll score better in Bisley shoots at longer range with the longer heavy barrel anyway.

How do I ask for a slot for another rifle? Do I need my clubs to advise the FEO or now that I've had my FAC for 4 months is it just a case of saying the above and aksing for another slot?

Just do a variation to request another rifle. I did the same to get another 308 on the same basis / conditions as the first (original 308) which was target or field shooting, with FMJ and EXP rounds. If the FEO has an issue he will contact you.

Just tell it as it is. Ask for one .308 rifle for target shooting. Should be straightforward.

just say, may i have anouther 308 please as i need one for target shooting, ie heavy barrel etc etc

shouldnt be a issue

also get it conditioned for deer AOLQ and you have a spare should your stalking rifle go down.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

What if I was to ask for a different calibre....? Nothing fancy maybe just a 6.5x55. Though maybe best to stick with .308 for shot dop consistency.
    Last edited by Toxster; 17-12-2013 at 20:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxster View Post
    What if I was to ask for a different calibre....? Nothing fancy maybe just a 6.5x55. Though maybe best to stick with .308 for shot dop consistency.
    If you are getting more serious about your target shooting then it would be wise to apply for all the calibres that you will wish to acquire during the lifetime of your current firearm certificate. As long as you have the security in place for the rifles and ammunition requested, Home Office Approved Club full membership and the club ranges are ok for the calibres applied for, there should not be an issue. If you want some of the new rifles to be dual purpose, then you will need to make that clear too.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    If you are getting more serious about your target shooting then it would be wise to apply for all the calibres that you will wish to acquire during the lifetime of your current firearm certificate. As long as you have the security in place for the rifles and ammunition requested, Home Office Approved Club full membership and the club ranges are ok for the calibres applied for, there should not be an issue. If you want some of the new rifles to be dual purpose, then you will need to make that clear too.
    +1 as long as you have full membership of a HOAC and the security in place there is not reason why you cannot ask for a lot more.
    ATB Multiman

2p worth

if you belong to a club just put down range use only ow (with good reason)

I think I'll stick with my single .308 for now then and I need to wait to my Provisional membership is Full as I'm joining two Bisley clubs atm. If I see a Tikka M65A in my price band I'll maybe stick in the variation for dual use.

Not sure what calibres I'll need during the life of the certificate, so I'll see how it goes over the next quarter. There are a few SMLEs in one club so a .303 may be on the cards. Feel I ought to own one at some stage in my life.

Easter pressie.....
    Last edited by Toxster; 18-12-2013 at 11:15.