Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any opinions? Altberg boots - Gamekeeper Stark Extreme

Question Any opinions? Altberg boots - Gamekeeper Stark Extreme

Looking to get a new pair of boots and thought these looked like a good deal at the price and know many folk rate Altberg. Also beneficial that we'll be driving across the A66 on Saturday so planning to drop by the factory shop and try before I buy!

http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/moorland-extreme-boot/

Anyone get any experience of these? Like the idea of the coated leather as they won't get heavilly used and should make care & proofing a bit easier than some uncoated leather boots (I hope!).

Welcome any feedback.
    Last edited by andyf; 18-12-2013 at 11:18. Reason: added link

I can't comment on that model but I've worn Altbergs for a few years now. The first pair were Peacekeepers and they were agony for about 2 months constantly giving me blisters but then felt like a second skin. The next pair were Field and Fell and werea perfect fit from the box and heaven to wear. Both pairs are still going strong, waterproof, warm and comfortable definitely recommend them.

Are the army not getting/got Altbergs?

Had mine for 2 years, like a second skin, don't feel them on they are so comfortable, they will also re-sole and re-furbish for 35.
    TonyC

Sounds promising. Although just checked their website and they close from midday Friday so my plan to stop by on our way down South Saturday is snookered!

Highly recommend altberg boots. I used them for years in the military and still do now.

I don't know if the military ones and the "country" ones are different but I bought a pair of Altbergs on recommendation from a friend in the forces and they are utterly crap. Uncomfortable and they let in water. Also didn't last as long as my meindls. And they have this bloody stupid snatch block type thing half way up to clamp the laces, ridiculous, you end up with the bottom half of your foot starved of blood and the top too loose! I have given this opinion once or twice on here and been shouted down by the Altberg lovers so I assume I got a Friday afternoon pair. One thing is for certain I won't ever buy any more.

Had a pair of field and fell that lasted for 15 years. Most comfortable boot I ever had. Remained waterproof until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by jubnut View Post
    ....And they have this bloody stupid snatch block type thing half way up to clamp the laces, ridiculous, you end up with the bottom half of your foot starved of blood and the top too loose!....
    I struggled with similar when I first got mine - then I realised what I was doing wrong. That 'locking eyelet' is there so you can vary how tightly laced the bottom and top half of the boot is. Used properly it makes for a brilliant fit, used incorrectly it makes for blue toes and pinch spots on the lower half of your foot.

Just one opinion Awesome boot and I've tried a lot of the others !
    Coating is great as is the lock block if thier was a tiny niggle they could do with longer laces
    Last edited by norma 308; 18-12-2013 at 21:30.