Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Howa 1500 vs x-bolt or sako

Howa 1500 vs x-bolt or sako

Hi all I have just got a variation back for a 243. Initially was thinking on a stainless synthetic fluted X-bolt, but how does the Howa 1500 stainless synthetic stack up against it. Its a couple of hundred quid cheaper. I had also considered the Tikka T3 or Sako a7 stainless synthetic. All seem to have plastic mags aithough the A7 has metel inserts. Also the Tikka and Sako have that horrible plastic cover on the back of the bolt. If money would allow I would probably go for a sako 85. Although if a nice used stainless synthetic Tikka M595 were to turn up i think i would go for it. any thoughts good or bad on any of the above? Shaun

I really like the Howa 1500, but mines is a blued sporter. Accurate and everyone who has seen it has been impressed. Its all horses for courses, see if you can get your hands on a howa and see what you think!

hmm hard one this and i have hard hat on but it depends on how long you wish it to last you !! go sako 85 every time

The howa rifles are very good out the box. The trigger is adjustable and the actions are straight and good value for money.
    I am as much a fan of howa as i am a sako fan.
    Stick a howa In a decent stock and don't look back.

Sako 85 Hunter short barrel

Are you planning on this rifle being a 'keeper' and how much does it matter whether it is new or second-hand? Reason I ask is that if you consider a Howa, but expect to put a stock on it straight away, then you are pretty much at Tikka T3 money. I don't really understand the Sako A7's place in the market. It is supposed to be the budget Sako, but in terms of look and feel, I don't see much that separates it from the T3.

If I was buying a keeper, I would buy a Sako 85 and enjoy a premium quality rifle that is spot on out of the box. Would you prefer a second hand 85 to a new T3 or A7?

regards

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitter View Post
    Are you planning on this rifle being a 'keeper' and how much does it matter whether it is new or second-hand? Reason I ask is that if you consider a Howa, but expect to put a stock on it straight away, then you are pretty much at Tikka T3 money. I don't really understand the Sako A7's place in the market. It is supposed to be the budget Sako, but in terms of look and feel, I don't see much that separates it from the T3.

If I was buying a keeper, I would buy a Sako 85 and enjoy a premium quality rifle that is spot on out of the box. Would you prefer a second hand 85 to a new T3 or A7?

regards

Ian
    I would consider a good used Sako 85 or Tikka M595 if one were to come on the market.

I think that's how I would roll. If one doesn't come up and the budget won't stretch to a new 85, then I would probably go Tikka T3. I noticed a nearly new one on guntrader which came with optilock rings which would offer a further saving.

Ian

my advise its howa1500 +boyds stock and you can use savings for a better scope or binos.im verry happy with my one

Be patient. Wait for a sako 75/85 to come up. While you are being patient you can save the extra money needed .It is worth it and you'll thank me one day!!!