Howa 1500 vs x-bolt or sako

shaun22/250

Hi all I have just got a variation back for a 243. Initially was thinking on a stainless synthetic fluted X-bolt, but how does the Howa 1500 stainless synthetic stack up against it. Its a couple of hundred quid cheaper. I had also considered the Tikka T3 or Sako a7 stainless synthetic. All seem to have plastic mags aithough the A7 has metel inserts. Also the Tikka and Sako have that horrible plastic cover on the back of the bolt. If money would allow I would probably go for a sako 85. Although if a nice used stainless synthetic Tikka M595 were to turn up i think i would go for it. any thoughts good or bad on any of the above? Shaun

I really like the Howa 1500, but mines is a blued sporter. Accurate and everyone who has seen it has been impressed. Its all horses for courses, see if you can get your hands on a howa and see what you think!

hmm hard one this and i have hard hat on but it depends on how long you wish it to last you !! go sako 85 every time

The howa rifles are very good out the box. The trigger is adjustable and the actions are straight and good value for money.
I am as much a fan of howa as i am a sako fan.
Stick a howa In a decent stock and don't look back.

Are you planning on this rifle being a 'keeper' and how much does it matter whether it is new or second-hand? Reason I ask is that if you consider a Howa, but expect to put a stock on it straight away, then you are pretty much at Tikka T3 money. I don't really understand the Sako A7's place in the market. It is supposed to be the budget Sako, but in terms of look and feel, I don't see much that separates it from the T3.

If I was buying a keeper, I would buy a Sako 85 and enjoy a premium quality rifle that is spot on out of the box. Would you prefer a second hand 85 to a new T3 or A7?

regards

Ian

Are you planning on this rifle being a 'keeper' and how much does it matter whether it is new or second-hand? Reason I ask is that if you consider a Howa, but expect to put a stock on it straight away, then you are pretty much at Tikka T3 money. I don't really understand the Sako A7's place in the market. It is supposed to be the budget Sako, but in terms of look and feel, I don't see much that separates it from the T3.

If I was buying a keeper, I would buy a Sako 85 and enjoy a premium quality rifle that is spot on out of the box. Would you prefer a second hand 85 to a new T3 or A7?

regards

Ian
I would consider a good used Sako 85 or Tikka M595 if one were to come on the market.

I think that's how I would roll. If one doesn't come up and the budget won't stretch to a new 85, then I would probably go Tikka T3. I noticed a nearly new one on guntrader which came with optilock rings which would offer a further saving.

Ian

Be patient. Wait for a sako 75/85 to come up. While you are being patient you can save the extra money needed .It is worth it and you'll thank me one day!!!

I would consider a good used Sako 85 or Tikka M595 if one were to come on the market.

You're going to get what you pay for. A Howa, restocked or otherwise will still be a budget value rifle and a Sako is always going to be a quality item. If what you're going to do is shoot the occasional deer in fine weather at 100 yards either will do the job and the only question is why you'd buy the budget rifle if you could afford the Sako. If, on the other hand, you were going to give this rifle daily work under any weather condition, you might prefer the peace of mind of the better quality item.

Second hand? Same rules apply.

What I'd choose for myself isn't relevant: for you it's a question of budget, full stop.

Howa would be the best designed action of the lot. If you are a Sunday shooter the Sako might have the nicest wooden stock. If you are a serious shooter in all weathers a Synthetik stock makes more sense, in that case the factory offerings are all lousy. A Howa with a good stock will be way ahead of a sako with original plastic. I for one would not rate a Sako barrel above any other factory barrel. edi

The Howa 1500 is excellent, even with the standard stock. Use the money you save (several hundreds) to buy higher spec binoculars - after all that is the tool you will use more than any other.

Whilst Sako and Tikka are very good rifles in an 'over the counter' state, it depends as stated above what you intend to do with and how happy you are with it long term?

I own rifles by both makes but also have a (now much modified) Howa. Despite being differing calibre's the Howa is possibly the most accurate.

So whilst I add to the 'buy a Sako' brigade above I will also add that if you feel you may want to change things up a notch in the future or are a tinkerer then the Howa or even a Remington 700 would be a good option.

my opinion FWIW.

Howa would be the best designed action of the lot. If you are a Sunday shooter the Sako might have the nicest wooden stock. If you are a serious shooter in all weathers a Synthetik stock makes more sense, in that case the factory offerings are all lousy. A Howa with a good stock will be way ahead of a sako with original plastic. I for one would not rate a Sako barrel above any other factory barrel. edi

+1

There is no panic i already have a .270 for deer and a 22-250 for foxing, so can wait for something to turn up.

Hi I only do paid stalking as i have no deer on my permissions, and once i have booked i go what ever the weather unless the guide calls it off. But also probably only a dozen stalks or so a year and i have my .270 for the larger deer. So its not going to see a lot of action.

I faced the same dilema myself looking for a recent rifle. The advice I got which has stood me in good stead was that most rifles shoot better than the average shooter. I made up a short list went to a dealer and shouldered them all and bought the one which felt right. I am very happy and pleased with it. I ended up with a tikka T3 (I already have a sako 85 in 308) and with the savings bought a S&B scope.

Back