Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which NV. Pro's & Cons

Which NV. Pro's & Cons

Hi everyone. I have a Yukon photon digital NV scope. I like it but it has to be tied down to one rifle. I am looking at purchasing the below and want to know whats the pros and cons of both.

http://www.starlightnv.co.uk/digital_night_vision.html

1st Con of the Photon is that it is not easily or quickly swopped from one rifle to another

1st Pro for the arrow is it can be changed from one rifle to another

The Arrow has not been released yet so I know you wont have used one and even if you have not used the photon please add your Pros and Cons of both units from experience with similar units, I don't know anything about starlight. It is much appreciated everyone.
    Last edited by Lucky Sniper; 18-12-2013 at 20:38.

PULSAR DFA75. Five rifles, Five calibre's all with 56mm end objectives scopes. Night shooting is a dream.

With night vision kit you get what you pay for. You would be better off with a nitesite NS200

You will need an illuminator. Don't know if it comes with one. With the correct ir you it will probably see out to about 300 yards.
    go look on the nightvision forum. They is the men.
    i use an archer myself. But I bought that before digital came on as much.
    Nite site is good as well but some people don't like looking down a screen. Personal choice thing.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

From what I'm told the photon is a bit overrated, there seems to be a few issues with it!
    cons.
    seems to get white out quite easily if shooting from prone , off the floor.
    no parallax adjustment.
    bog standard cross hair, rather than mill dot for your holdovers.
    dedicated to one gun.
    no zoom or focus fixed to 5x.
    seems to me they have put a half decent night vision device on the cheapest bit of scope they can find!!
    rushed to get it out on the market without thinking about it.
    they really need to put a prototype in front of a shooter before they sell these things.
    they can then asses on what it can and can't do for them.
    they done it on the nite site that was another one

The Photon is an entry level NV unit that does the job well enough within its capabilities. Put a good infra red illuminator on it (its own is not too good) and you have a very useable unit out to about 100-150 yards depending on conditions. Ideal for fox/rabbit at these ranges. However you get what you pay for and probably the best all round unit that can be switched from scope to scope (with some exceptions) is the Archer. With good IR this is excellent out to 200 yds plus.
    The Photon can be used on centrefire rifles but it really comes into its own on rimfires, a very good piece of kit for the price. I put my Photon on a 22LR for the winter and take it off in the summer.

We will have the first dealer supplied Starlight Arrow demo unit very shortly, so will be publishing a video review in the New Year, but will have some footage on Monday.

Expect 200m detection ranges, and an image quality comparable to the DFA75 (top end model) and similar to Photon (lower end model) albeit with a less comfortable shooting position as it is rear mounted so your ocular position is a bit unnatural compared to your traditional optics, also you need to have a parallax adjustable (side focus) riflescope.

As for the Photon being overrated, personally i disagree, for under 400 it offers what I feel is better or at least comparable performance to an NS200 which until recently was 699. We had a prototype before months before release, and it was tried and tested by some of the UK top magazine feature writers who are also hunters.

For 399 a device which will give a true realistic detection range of 100m (man sized 190m) it is a fantastic piece of kit, and ideal for .17HMR vermin control, but perfectly suited to smaller centrefire calibres (up to 5000 Joules) we literally cannot keep them on the shelves, they have a huge following now in the airrifle, rimfire and centrefire market, although a customer surprisingly bought one yesterday for wild boar on his 300 Win Mag (i explained he needs to keep muzzle energy below 5000 joules lol)

I agree with the DFA75 comments, it is the best of both worlds, digital performance (realistic 200m +) and front mounted so doesn't knacker up your ocular position and you can swap between rifles with very little device adjustment.

Bear in mind we offer a 7 Day Demo service on all our weapon NV kit, so feel free to try one at home before you make your mind up (conditions apply)

Best Regards

Paul
    Last edited by Scott Country; 19-12-2013 at 09:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Country View Post
    We will have the first dealer supplied Starlight Arrow demo unit very shortly, so will be publishing a video review in the New Year, but will have some footage on Monday.

Expect 200m detection ranges, and an image quality comparable to the DFA75 (top end model) and similar to Photon (lower end model) albeit with a less comfortable shooting position as it is rear mounted so your ocular position is a bit unnatural compared to your traditional optics, also you need to have a parallax adjustable (side focus) riflescope.

As for the Photon being overrated, personally i disagree, for under 400 it offers what I feel is better or at least comparable performance to an NS200 which until recently was 699. We had a prototype before months before release, and it was tried and tested by some of the UK top magazine feature writers who are also hunters.

For 399 a device which will give a true realistic detection range of 100m (man sized 190m) it is a fantastic piece of kit, and ideal for .17HMR vermin control, but perfectly suited to smaller centrefire calibres (up to 5000 Joules) we literally cannot keep them on the shelves, they have a huge following now in the airrifle, rimfire and centrefire market, although a customer surprisingly bought one yesterday for wild boar on his 300 Win Mag (i explained he needs to keep muzzle energy below 5000 joules lol)

I agree with the DFA75 comments, it is the best of both worlds, digital performance (realistic 200m +) and front mounted so doesn't knacker up your ocular position and you can swap between rifles with very little device adjustment.

Bear in mind we offer a 7 Day Demo service on all our weapon NV kit, so feel free to try one at home before you make your mind up (conditions apply)

Best Regards

Paul
    Paul please PM me details on the 7 day demo on the arrow with the standard IR 200m range (that's enough for me). I want to be the first to try one with a view to getting one. I have been told that you need collars of the correct diameter to fit your day scope, is this correct?

On Monday please post footage on this post?
    Last edited by Lucky Sniper; 19-12-2013 at 10:15.

The unit is also very small, about 10cm so yes you may have to move your scope an inch forward to make it more natural to use.

Lucky Sniper
    Ive had the Photon (very nice),also the DFA(very very good),and now got my hands on a Longbow ,the longbow is the best BUT 4 times the price of the DFA, in my opinion the DFA is very hard to beat ,if you speak to Paul at Scottscountry he will sort one out for you,as he did me (top bloke)
    gunner223

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner223 View Post
    Lucky Sniper
    Ive had the Photon (very nice),also the DFA(very very good),and now got my hands on a Longbow ,the longbow is the best BUT 4 times the price of the DFA, in my opinion the DFA is very hard to beat ,if you speak to Paul at Scottscountry he will sort one out for you,as he did me (top bloke)
    gunner223
    The DFA is out of my budget by some

I like the photon just want to change it over to different rifles depending on the quarry I am after and the arrow looks like what I am after at a price I can afford and hide from the wife!!