Thread: Lacquered or oiled stock

Lacquered or oiled stock

I have a Benelli Montefeltro 20 bore semi-auto. It has a short stock to enable my wife to shoot it and when I use it I use a rubber Pad extension boot. Like a fool I left the boot on for a few weeks. and when I took it off the stock where the boot had been had turned black!. I do not know how deep or how to get rid of it. I think that the stock is varnished but I am not sure. I know that I sound like a fool but can anybody help?

If it's varnish, and I think it is, a go with some T-Cut won't hurt.
    If it is just surface staining it will polish out, if it is damp trapped by the rubber it won't.

Neil.

When I use the Archer I always put a rubber butt pad extension on. I left that on for a couple of days without thinking about it. When I took it off there was discolouration where the sleeve had been. It has taken a couple of years for it to fade out. This was an oiled stock. I never leave the pad on now! I am not really sure why this happens, it's almost as if the rubber draws moisture from the stock. I would guess it might not happen with a varnished finish.
    So beware, always remove the sleeve.

strangely a lot of varnish absorbs moisture.
    I have a table that will ring mark with anything but they disappear over night

personally I hate varnish on guns and strip it of and oil finish

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    strangely a lot of varnish absorbs moisture.
    I have a table that will ring mark with anything but they disappear over night

personally I hate varnish on guns and strip it of and oil finish

As as above I won't own a varnished gun. I've found they mark as easily as an oiled stock and are hard to repair and never look or feel as nice.