Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New brass - questions.

New brass - questions.

Hi all. Have just been loading some rounds for my 6.5x55 and have used some brand new Lapua brass. I noticed that the primer pockets were very tight and also that I needed to use a bit more force when seating the bullets compared with my previous experience using either full or neck sized pre-fired brass.
    Is this normal with brand new brass or should I have done any particular case prep prior to loading new brass?
    Ta.

i've fount the lapua 6.5 x 47 lap brass tight when new, i always open them up with a K&N expander mandrel and size them in the wilson neck sizer die before trimming and first use, makes the bullet seating tension 100% consistent.

its more apparent with the arbour press than when using a conventional press

I run a mandrel through the necks of my new brass to take any dents out. I develop a load specifically for my new brass. Once the brass is into my normal cycle of ultrasonic cleaning, full length resizing and annealing, I will develop the load again.

Regards

JCS

I only use Remington 9 1/2 Large Rifle primers and felt that the primers took a few ounces more force to seat in my new Lapua 6.5x55 brass.

The brass is from 2 batch numbers and both batches gave me the same feel.

Can't comment on neck tension as I run all new cases through neck sizing before loading.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Rem primers I have found in lapua brass is usually tight compared to say CCI, brass I check for chamber fit in the rifle and then either neck size or full resize depending on the chamber fit of the new brass.

Thanks chaps. I am a bit worried about the increased neck tension and whether it will give pressure issues? Maybe I should pull those rounds and start again after neck sizing?

Quote Originally Posted by cambsman View Post
    Thanks chaps. I am a bit worried about the increased neck tension and whether it will give pressure issues? Maybe I should pull those rounds and start again after neck sizing?
    Increased neck tension is unlikely to dangerously increase pressures unless you have a very hot load already. It will most likely change the point of impact though. Depending upon how many rounds you have loaded, you could consider treating them as a separate batch rather than pulling them. Don't make the mistake that I once did and get them mixed up. I ended up pulling a whole lot more that I care to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by cambsman View Post
    You're the man on the spot. Try a couple of rounds. If you're not happy, then pull the bullets and work your load up from scratch. Regards JCS

2p worth

I prep all my new brass full size primer pocket and flash hole tune up saves crushing primers if the pocket is just under size. Cut case to correct AOL etc . Then after one load to fire form it just then neck is size

It may not be that the primer pockets are under size but that the primers are slightly over size. Recently I tried to load Murom primers into some PPU cases, they would fit but were a much tighter fit than normal. On other occasions I have had difficulty fitting CCI primers in Norma cases. The difference that we are talking is only microns but sufficient to cause some difficulty. The solution is just to use a different primer that fits easily.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.