Tree Damage

Cygnus

Hi Guys
I have included a few pics of tree damage I found this morning on a small piece of ground I shoot on.
I am hoping for some of your thoughts as to the damage.
It all seemed fairly recent and at the lower levels of the trees.
Roe are certainly in evidence, but this is the first occasion I have found this damage.

Thanks in advance

Alan

DSC_0021.jpgDSC_0022.jpgDSC_0023.jpgDSC_0024.jpgDSC_0025.jpgDSC_0026.jpgDSC_0027.jpg

deffo not roe, looks quite high up, I'd say a hare was stripping that off..rabbits would tend to eat the bark strippings, these have been left in long slivers.

53 views and only 1 reply????

come on all you DSC1 trained hunters..... which deer strip bark with their lower inscisors?

you can rule out roe and muntjac because they don't bark strip... chinese and fallow are not present in the area so that only leaves red and sika.

My guess would be red

Depending on food availability all species of deer could bark strip! They have to be hungry though or under pressure from other deer.

I have seen sheep damage to scrub willow and ash that made you wonder if they had a personal vendetta against the tree. it was more like gouging than stripping, and there was no wool as an obvious indicator.
Also on two seperate occasions I have seen parties of reds giving established ash one hell of a stripping.
Your pics show damage from the ground up - any chance its not deer ?

Thanks for al the ideas chaps.
My response so far........ On the ground, I have only Roe....as far as I know !
We have no red, no sika, no munties, no cwd and no boar, no sheep....again as far as I know !
Looks like its time to put out a trail cam..............Dear Santa
Any other ideas, I would love to hear them.Any recomendations for a trail cam, maybe need another post.
Cheers
Alan

Back