Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impressive Reindeer

Impressive Reindeer

Hi Guys

Check this big boy out.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...e-antlers.html

Now that is a fine head. I'd have to sell the bungalow and buy a big house if I wanted to get that on the wall.

Alan and Tilley are doing a fine job in bringing on good specimen animals up there in the Cairngorms. I'll have to make the trip up one day soon.

Rocky

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Very impressive indeed, there are apparently Reindeer left up there to wander around at their own pleasure. I'm wondering "IF" they wonder onto a neighbouring estate, are you allowed to shoot them?

Not that I want to put a dampner on the Christmas theme, but, "would you?"

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock
    Very impressive indeed, there are apparently Reindeer left up there to wander around at their own pleasure. I'm wondering "IF" they wonder onto a neighbouring estate, are you allowed to shoot them?

Not that I want to put a dampner on the Christmas theme, but, "would you?"

TJ
    every one else was thinking it .

Santa would be issuing a few writs then.

bigger question is how do they taste

Two years ago I went on a photographic 'safari' in Newfoundland, ( it was so cold my camera froze and died). I saw caribou at about 15yds and can vouch for them being pretty impressive beasts.
    I personally woudn't shoot them if they strayed onto my land. However if there was a cull situation I woudn't hesitate. My guide made 'bou stew and it was superb.

That is as good a reindeer head as I have seen, caribou carry better antlers and this one would not be out of place as a caribou head.

I went up there once hoping to see them but must have got to the wrong place as I never even got a glimpse.

Mmmmmm !

It is tempting

I am lead to believe that some culling does take place but how much I've no idea

Rocky

Reindeer are excellent eating even better than moose.

Bob

When you drive up the ski road, about half way up look to your right and you'll see where the Reindeer are kept. You can see a large fence there. Also at the foot of the hill on the road into Glenmore Lodge an outdoors centre there is Reindeer house. There is quite often one in the paddock at the back of the house. The rest of the herd is kept in Glenlivet where Alan and Tilly stay.
    As for the tatse, its more like mutton than venison