Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Land Clearance

Land Clearance

As I have only recently got my FAC I need some advice please chaps…

I have been invited to help clear bunnies from a piece of land by the guy that already shoots there whose FAC application is underway, the farmer is happy for me to come and do this.

I have a “closed “ certificate with the standard “land deemed suitable by the chief for the areas where you have permission...” etc on both my rimfires and the .243 so my understanding is that the onus is on me to ensure it is cleared for the calibre I intend to use…the guy with the permission says it is as the farmer shoots but I said I wanted to check with FEO before shooting just to be sure…this is where the saga begins.

I emailed the firearms licensing team and after a few days got no response and so decided to ring as the farmer really wanted the rabbits dealing with…after getting sent round in circles on the automated land line I called the FEO who did my interview / inspection and left a voicemail and she called me back – she checked the land on the system and confirmed it was cleared all the way up to my .243, but then told me I couldn’t shoot it until the people in the office responded to my email and said I could shoot…

The following week the office staff called my mobile and again confirmed that the land is cleared to .243 but this time told me I cannot shoot it until I provide written permission for them to put on my file – so this is my question, I was under the impression that written permission is not required and so this is not a legal requirement – surely I have fulfilled my part and made every effort to ascertain whether the land is cleared?

Additionally, I had asked for a clearance check on another piece of land which is a friend’s permission as he has no interest in rifles so I can shoot there including the odd fallow which is on there – firearms team told me this land is cleared for HMR and when I asked how I could get it cleared for the centrefire the response was “you can’t, we are not doing any more land checks!” – obviously I didn’t want to get on the wrong side of them so said ok I will come back to you. I also have to have the written permission letter on file before I can use my rimfires on this piece of land as well.

Any thoughts or advice – have I misunderstood or am I being asked to jump through unnecessary hoops? Is is reasonable / acceptable to refuse to do a land check?

OD

Are you a member of BASC/SACS or alike and if so I think a call to their FA dept is in order.

As I understand it as long as you have permission and the land has been cleared for the calibre weapon you are using then you have done all that is needed.

However in this day and age it is helpfull to have written permission and makes sense to send a photocopy to the Firearms dept.Also the more you send them the more eveidence you have to get your cert opened up.

SACS are taking a very strong line on the whole issue of police certifying ground which in essesnce is a complete farce so if you were to be a member of SACS (see sticky on top of general forum) then I think they would be more than helpfull.

The other bit of your post also needs challenging best done by a proffesional body

Your FA dept seems to being quite obstructive and needs a little talking too.

D

It may be that the bureau want you to take full responsibility for the permission to shoot on the land. I.E. they want you to fill out form 646 and send it to them.
    This is a legal document for which you take full legal responsibility.
    This is what my force wanted me to do.
    Advice from Mike Eveleigh was that a letter from the land owner stating the shooter has permission is all that is required, Mike advised caution in using form 646 as it is not required.
    If you want to jump through their hoops then use 646.

If you scroll to page 9 you can read form 646.
    http://www.burnhamrifleclub.org.uk/d...rearms-apl.pdf
    Last edited by jack; 19-12-2013 at 16:40.

Providing its cleared.....and providing you have permission.....go enjoy your rabbiting.
    Just stupid firearms departments being idiots again.
    And they wonder why we dont want to pay more for their service!

Land deemed suitable etc etc is written on your certificate. It has been deemed suitable (which it clearly has) then off you go shooting. Having written permission on you when shooting is always helpful though, just in case a busy body phones the police. However there is no requirement for you to send it in at all.
    Baguio
    PS it would help if we at least knew what county you lived in! Location: Centre of England? What does that mean?

....soo glad i am in Scotland
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    Land deemed suitable etc etc is written on your certificate. It has been deemed suitable (which it clearly has) then off you go shooting. Having written permission on you when shooting is always helpful though, just in case a busy body phones the police. However there is no requirement for you to send it in at all.
    Baguio
    PS it would help if we at least knew what county you lived in! Location: Centre of England? What does that mean?
    my village is the centre of England...just outside Solihull.

I am am a member of BASC and considered involving their firearms team but I don't want to upset the apple cart too much after having my cert for 2 months!

The bunny land is cleared, they have conformed that. So long as YOU know you have permission to shoot I'd crack on. No legal need to lodge any paperwork with the police unless your FAC specifically says you must.

The deer bit is trickier. To the best of my knowledge they can't reasonably refuse to clear land. That is where I would get BASC on board.

You don't have to be a troublemaker, just make it clear you will not let them walk all over you. Perhaps send them a recorded delivery letter requesting they clear the land with deer and if no reply in a specified period you will have to speak to BASC.

When I was granted my FAC the FEO was very positive that I was a BASC member, he asked about insurance.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscarsdad View Post
    my village is the centre of England...just outside Solihull.

I am am a member of BASC and considered involving their firearms team but I don't want to upset the apple cart too much after having my cert for 2 months!
    If it was me I'd phone Alan Booth or Mike Eveleigh at BASC to ask for advice, its free. They are the firearms advisory team, or some of them.

You need an open certificate to shoot other areas that are not on your application, you say yours is closed so you will need to get each area approved for you to shoot on.