Thread: Breast Bone Saw

Breast Bone Saw

Often in the past I have been asked about such, I have dabbled many times with 'shop made blades of my own, never quite getting the 'edge' just right for the job though, always knowing that precision, machine cut teeth were the most effective for the job, something akin to the teeth on the saw bade of a Swiss Army Knife on steroids was the goal...

Then a EUREKA moment...

Thinking about the set of Stalkers Knives I made, the ones in this thread, and the way that they are made up...

Then thinking about this, which I know a good few of my clients already use for the job...

The below seemed to be a very real option, using a modified blade from a Griz Saw...

And do you know what, it only went and worked...

A little later...

It worked an absolute treat, the goal is still of course for in house, or at least Sheffield applied edge, for now though a 3 piece set is getting closer and closer...

Even that has a good 6" of blade with a cutting edge of around 5 3/4"...

It is very sturdy too, those two bolts at each end of the tang, and the epoxy inside of course, allow zero movement or flex...

In case you can't tell, I am very happy with it...

It is on it's travels tonight and will be tested, with photos hopefully, over this coming weekend...

Watch this space...
    Last edited by Stuart Mitchell; 19-12-2013 at 21:48.

Hi Stu,

Personally I've never really seen the need for a compact saw for carcass prep, I don't need to cut the chest in the field and when I get back to the larder I have a proper bone saw available.

However..... I am an open minded person and I do know that several of my experienced colleagues use tools very similar to what you have made so I would be keen to try it for myself. If there is an opportunity to have go with your prototype then I would be happy to pay the postage both ways.

The larder and gralloching set that you made for me are serving me well and always draw compliments when I use them on courses and demos......maybe I need a saw to match!

Best wishes,
    Glyn.

That is probably not beyond the realms of possibility Glyn, I think you maye well have had past contact with the fella who has it too, leave it with me please mate and I'll get back to you...

I trust you are well by the way, Stu.

Cheers Stu, keep me posted. Have a good Christmas. Glyn.

Perhaps with hi-viz scales for in-the-field use?

K

That looks good. Somehow I always end up cutting the breast bone with my knife even if I have a saw available...

Stu…..

Saw received today. Bang tidy ! Looks better than in the photos. Plenty of grip in the bead blasted scales and fits in the hand well. Will test drive over the weekend and let you know…

Regards

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Perhaps with hi-viz scales for in-the-field use?

K
    Yes, easily doable, one of the other changes (or options) I am looking into is the machine the insides of the Micarta and so cancelling out the need for the infill section around the tang, allowing for a two piece only and one colour handle...

Quote Originally Posted by N.F.W.M View Post
    Stu…..

Saw received today. Bang tidy ! Looks better than in the photos. Plenty of grip in the bead blasted scales and fits in the hand well. Will test drive over the weekend and let you know…

Regards

Ed
    Great stuff...