Thread: Sloe Port

Sloe Port

Just bottled my first batch of Sloe Port, made with the sloes from the sloe gin, cheap boxes of french wine at 1 a litre and fortified with some cheap spanish brandy that I have had kicking around for years and I must say it is quite splendid, just done a back to back test with some Taylor's and it is much better!
    All those years that I threw away the sloes after making sloe gin, what a waste.

Recipe and method please? I go on narrow boat holidays just to pick sloes from the other side of the canal to make my sloe gin, it would be great to find another use for them.

After the gin has been strained off of the sloes fill the vessel back up with cheap red wine and a little sugar, I like my drinks quiet dry so don't add too much sugar at the beginning but taste later and add more if required. leave for 3 months then strain off and fortify with brandy to taste, I added about 1 part brandy to 8 parts wine, then enjoy. I am told that like sloe gin it will improve with age but i don't think that this bottle will get a chance.

Tomorrow I am going to try making sloe chocolate by breaking up some of the sloes that have been in the gin then port and adding them to melted dark chocolate then pouring into a shallow tray to create a chocolate bar.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
    Recipe and method please? I go on narrow boat holidays just to pick sloes from the other side of the canal to make my sloe gin, it would be great to find another use for them.

I've about a gallon of sloe gin on the go, this is what I'm doing when it's finished. Thanks for the recipe

must get me some sloes to try sloe gin and some of these suggestions. Many thanks for the idea. regards sbm