Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GesChasse: stats from the field on bullets, calibres, accuracy, effectiveness etc.

GesChasse: stats from the field on bullets, calibres, accuracy, effectiveness etc.

Hello everyone.

I recently joined a French hunting forum called Grand-gibier.net, on which a free software package designed to build a database of statistics on everything to do with hunting is available. You can download it and participate in the exercise if you like, but it's been going since 2008, so there really is a wealth of statistics here on all the topics that we love to argue about. Here's a direct link to a summary of the figures for the 2012-2013 season:

http://www.grand-gibier.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16545

I realise that the text is in French, but mostly, it's all in numbers which are universal. Topics covered are:
    1. Popularity of different types of large game hunted.
    2. Ranking of popular calibres.
    3. Average shot distance and average running distance, broken down by calibre and bullet (that's going to cause some debate).
    4. All of the above broken down by different forms of hunting, i.e. stalking, high-seat, driven, etc.

And lots, lots more. This should keep you arguing all the way through Christmas. I plan to install the software and join in, although I just won't have very much to contribute, given the low frequency of my outings.

I think that the chart on where animals have been hit is an eye-opener. The thorax is the main one, but the second is the abdomen, which is probably because of the proportion of driven hunting, but still, the odd visit to a moving target range seems in order. Of course, there aren't many about, so that's not easy.

Account Suspended
    Only 22% "Approche" ....

S'not gonna go down well here...

And a further 8% is "affut", or high-seat, which would fall within our remit. It's possible that if you install the software, you can filter it down to stalking, I'm not sure.

Good info Pine Marten, an interesting read. As you say a few surprises there.

Only 22% "Approche" .... Possibly because most stalking wasn't reported perhaps Tamus ? Where as driven game may well be better reported by the associations. ????
    Last edited by 8x57; 20-12-2013 at 11:23.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    Only 22% "Approche" ....

S'not gonna go down well here...
    In France on driven hunts you have to wait until the game passes through the line before you can shoot. Most shots will be after the animal has passed you.

Stan

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    And a further 8% is "affut", or high-seat, which would fall within our remit. It's possible that if you install the software, you can filter it down to stalking, I'm not sure.
    True... I've tried Hochsitz too... better not tell the good folk of the SD how that tends to work either though.... Jolly unsporting I say. Almost as bad as shooting at runners.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    In France on driven hunts you have to wait until the game passes through the line before you can shoot. Most shots will be after the animal has passed you.

Stan
    Oh yes, I know. I've done a bit of that. Shooting "away" et sans lunettes, on the shoot I was on.

The calibres listing is interesting. You're down to the tenth position before you hit one that's really popular here, the .270. 7x64 is by miles the favourite for everything. .243 is all the way down the list. It'll be interesting to see where the .30-06 and .308 come in subsequently, but they were only authorised in September, a bit too late to see much use in the field this season. 6.5x55 is still banned though.

I too was surprised that 7x64 was as popular as the chart shows. On the driven shoots I shot on .300wm was much more in evidence than 7x64. I was also surprised by how far down the list 9.3x74r came but there again this would only really be used on driven shoots.
    Nice to see that 8x57irs is still near the top though.

It will probably take a number of years before .30-06 and .308 make any real impact on the list.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I too was surprised that 7x64 was as popular as the chart shows. On the driven shoots I shot on .300wm was much more in evidence than 7x64. I was also surprised by how far down the list 9.3x74r came but there again this would only really be used on driven shoots.
    Nice to see that 8x57irs is still near the top though.

It will probably take a number of years before .30-06 and .308 make any real impact on the list.
    If ever. I guess some "enthusiasts" will take up the American calibres but usually the style of hunting dictates the choice. Eg, stuff like 6.5x68 or more modern 7mm wsm, for Chamois in the mountains, 7x64 for Cerf et Chevrueil... etc etc with so many European suppliers of well tried and tested firearms and ammo and with such passionate chauvinism, I honestly think you may find that; in the main, the "magical" 30-06 and .308 are regarded as not offering anything they don't already have covered quite nicely thank you.

I was interested in the regional make up of the results though... Without me specs I couldn't see even Alsace on the list (odd). Even the Cote D'Or only gets a proportionately small mention...

Fascinating find Pine Marten.

We're off to re-visit the Perigord in the Spring... So, I'll need to see if any kindly contributors from Dordogne-shire will go swapsies ... There seems to be loads of them on the site.