Thread: Trip to Canada

Blog Entries

Trip to Canada

My wife has decided that she wants to go to Canada to sit in a beautiful lakeside cabin and admire a beautiful view.

Lads, I'm inclined to let her have this one.

So Daughter 1 will want to ride or go trekking and tag along on any shooting going. Daughter No.2 will want to spend some time in the great outdoors. Son 1 will want to Play video games and may possibly be dragged out for a bit of swimming etc.

Me. I would love to shoot something I cannot here. Maybe a bit of fly fishing and I want to hit a Gunshop with a fresh credit card and an empty suitcase. I'm generally not good at doing nothing.

So you wonderful knowledgeable types can you recommend to me:

Where?
    When?
    What?
    Who?

Many thanks
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthDorset View Post
    My wife has decided that she wants to go to Canada to sit in a beautiful lakeside cabin and admire a beautiful view.

So Daughter 1 will want to ride or go trekking and tag along on any shooting going. Daughter No.2 will want to spend some time in the great outdoors. Son 1 will want to Play video games and may possibly be dragged out for a bit of swimming etc.

Me. I would love to shoot something I cannot here. Maybe a bit of fly fishing and I want to hit a Gunshop with a fresh credit card and an empty suitcase. I'm generally not good at doing nothing.

Where?
    When?
    What?
    Who?

Many thanks
    British Columbia.
    In the Fall
    Bear or Moose.
    Dont know who but we stayed at a ranch not far from Kamloops, They have all of the above and contacts with the stalking/hunting.
    P.M. me if you want more info.Attachment 35886Attachment 35887Attachment 35888

This might help with the hunting side of things http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...g/regulations/
    Might be a bit chilly beside a lake though!
    Definitely Canada?
    Why not Montana?
    Cheers
    Richard

I have been to Montana too. Just as wonderful. I also have contacts there. Not too far from Great Falls.

Oh very nice indeed!

Canada is awesome, I was in Ottawa with work for a short time... Also went up into Quebec, I'm not stereo typing but Quebec-istan also known as the people's republic off Quebec! Well a unique breed indeed... I pulled into a service station and asked politely for the toilet and got a shrug of the shoulders and a raised lip from the attendant! It suddenly dawned on me so I repeated it in French and got a much warmer reception....

I didn't notice the big gun stores like the states, although there's a very large number of hunters out there. I think the gun laws are a "little" stricter than there neighbours.

Tusker / Devon Deer Stalker I'm off to Montana with work in February, I'm going to have a day here and there in Great Falls but will be spending most of the time in Cut Bank.

Sounds like an awesome trip...

All the best

WH

Been several times. Quebec is nice and wild, but beware the bugs. My son and I went for an spring bear hunt in June (my other trips have been fall) and the weather was nicer, shooting a bear with archery tackle was fun, and the fishing was phenomenal.

on the down side - midges and no-see-ums will attack viciously unless you are out on the lake at least 100 yards. Black flies are something out of an Egyptian biblical plague. Imagine a flying tick that lands then crawls to whatever gap you have left open - and then invites 5000 of his nearest and dearest friends and relatives.

As is obvious by my online name, I live in western Alberta. That being said, I would reccomend Vancouver Island or Haida Gwai ( Queen Charlotte Islands ) or somewhere along the B.C coast. Phenominal fishing and scenery. The hunting is limited on the islands and if you go during hunting season the only swimming you'll get is in the hotel swimming pool lol The ocean temp is about 15C in summer and is a bit colder later in the year. The BC interior is beautiful and has great fishing and hunting and there is a lot of fishing and hunting lodges throughout the province. The running joke here is BC stands for Bring Cash, be forewarned it is a bit expensive. My wife was born and raised on Vancouver Island ( Tofino and Uclulet) so we go there a lot, nice place and full of friendly people.

The US Pacific North West is gorgeous and less expensive, the people are great and very welcoming and there are plenty of outdoor opportunities. Montana and Idaho are favorite places of mine, for me, its like going home. They're just like Albertans, just with better gunshops lol.

If you are looking for a wilderness experience, take a look at Alaska or the Yukon. Probably some of the most pristine wilderness left in North America. I've been up a few times, working and on vacation, I can't say enough good things about either place.It can get expensive to fly in to and road access is limited but you wouldn't regret it. Definitly a bucket list trip.

One place that always gets overlooked is Newfoundland. It is a truly unique place, the Newfies are the friendliest ( and funniest ) people I've ever met and it is a beautiful province. Lots of hunting and fishing, but a bit cold at that time of year, with breathtaking scenery, I love the place and the people.

I've probably just made it harder for you to choose, but where ever you go I'm sure you'll love it. I'm very familiar with Western Canada as I travel alot ( I work in the oil industry ) If I can be of any help or if you have any questions about a specific place drop me a PM and I'll sort it out for you.

AB

Blog Entries
    I have a hankering for Montana at some point but the wife wants "Canada".

Tusker, the pictures are fantastic. Just the sort of thing we are looking for. She didn't want to do BC but I will get her to consider it in the mix.

Cheers for the input Alberta Boy. I will try and get a shortlist together and run it past you.

Thanks everyone.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Hi north Dorset I was living in northern Alberta this time last year if you want some info send me a pm mate . Atb Jim
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Hi N.Dorset. I have never been to Canada myself, but from photos i have seen Lake Louise would be on my "bucket list". The lake and Canadian rockies in the background looks fantastic. Maybe someone on here has been lucky enough to have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthDorset View Post

Where?
    When?
    What?
    Who?

Many thanks