Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: skin or not

skin or not

is it best to skin or not when hanging in the chiller,what do you all do.?

I leave fallow in the chiller for about 10-14 days in the jacket then skin them leave them another day then of to the gamedealer with them.If you leave them in a chiller with the jackets off to long they tend to dry out a bit and go dark this doesn't effect the meat quality but my gamedealer doesn't like it,any excuse to knock money off.
    hope this helps cheers sean

Definitely 'ON'. Wild deer generally have very little or no fat to prevent them drying out. Maybe hang them jackets off for a short while before butchering as they are easier to work with when dry to the touch.
    Definitely leave it on if intending to transport on to a game dealer for meat hygiene reasons. (Very difficult to transport a sticky wet carcass without contaminating!)
    Small deer especially will dry out too much. The only moisture/succulence in small deer venison is water. When you lose that it becomes tough and dry.
    I know some Red deer farmers skin them warm and hang them but they have larger body mass and higher fat content. The surface goes a Dark 'mahogany' marbled colour. This dried layer actually gives the meat protection as bacteria cannot reproduce as quickly without moisture.

Sunday lunch today was a haunch roast from a 3yr old (farmed) red stag
    hung in the skin for 30 days before butchering. Really good eating. The reason there is very little good meat available in shops is the expense of sufficient hanging and the attendant weight loss. Somebody has to pay.
    It's your choice, cheap rubbish or pay more for top quality. But then that applies to most things in life.

i hang roe with skin on for about 3 days then skin,leave for another day then its into the freezer butchered up ready for the Sunday lunch,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by cyberstag
    hung in the skin for 30 days before butchering. Really good eating. The reason there is very little good meat available in shops is the expense of sufficient hanging and the attendant weight loss. Somebody has to pay.
    It's your choice, cheap rubbish or pay more for top quality. But then that applies to most things in life.
    30 days . was he rutting he must have been, you will want a skirt on ya in the morning.

i hand my sika a week tops.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberstag
    hung in the skin for 30 days before butchering. Really good eating.
    Cyberstag... Did you forget it was there... again???

Oh bugga, that reminds me... I'm off to take care of a pheasant and a woodcock!

In our chiller (and some other estates I know) the opposite to what some of you have been saying is true. I have to make sure our chiller floor has totally dried out before hanging any carcass for any length of time as the carcass can get a 'sweaty'/slimy feel to it if there is even the smallest amount of moisture about, and will sometimes develop mould if left for more than 7-10 days. I was even thinking of getting a wee dehumidifier!

Irishgun,

My 3 yr old was killed well before the rut and specifically for our own freezer. Everybody has different ideas on hanging time and I am not saying 30 days is a must. Personally I think it is good to let the carcass cool to ambient temp for 24 hours before putting in the chiller to avoid
    cold shortening. After that it is mostly dependent on what temp the chiller is set at. 30 days at 2 degrees may have the same affect as 14 days at 5 or 6. Mine was hanging in a friends chiller and their meat is always good so I did the same.

Skin On/Off

Over the years I have developed the habit of pushing my hand under the skin to separate it from the carcase when the body is still warm.
    But I leave a couple of inches at various places at the edges so that the skin is still attached but after the hanging period is easy to separate.
    When the carcase is in the chiller it looks like a normal Roe but it can be skinned in a minute if it has been loosened.
    Try it, it's free. Cheers, Brianm