Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Food hygiene question

Account Suspended

Food hygiene question

Hi everyone the farm were I now might be able to shoot deer,the farmers sister in law has a farm shop and he is asking me for some venison for her shop when he gives me permission to shoot,my question is do I need a food hygiene cert to give her/sell her venison cheers guys and happy Christmas

Wouldn't have thought so although it is always useful to have a bit of food hygiene knowledge

Account Suspended
    Ok thanks would they need one to sell in the farm shop

Eating your own venison is not the same as offering it for sale.
    I suspect you may have to register with your local authority and have your larder inspected by the health spies. [I believe two sinks are required as you cannot wash your cutting implements and your hands in the same one. ]
    A Game Dealers certificate may also be necessary.
    You may be opening a can of worms here !

HWH.

Not sure about your local regs, but in England you would need to have your Large game handling certificate either way. You could then sell it in its jacket to them as you would be operating under the primary producer with a trained hunter exemption. However, to sell it to them skninned, you would need to register as a food business. Best speak to your local council for advice. They are usually very helpful.
    MS

Account Suspended
    Cheers guys will have to get googling and make some phone calls in the new year

pretty sure as they are a shop not a dealer that they could not take it in fur unless they themselves have a place to process "in fur" carcases

I have two butchers that I supply
    1) take anything and everything in fur
    2) only (and can only) take(s) dressed

you don't need a dedicated larder and chill to supply "small amounts", no-one ever inspected me!

and registering as a food business is a bit like shouting out of a moving car window
    they hear you but don't expect any further conversation!! I got a "thanks, we got that" email!

You would nee large game certificate (DSC1 gives you this) to supply the venison in fur to the shop.
    They would need meat hygiene certificate and to be a registered food business to then process the primary product into a final product.
    Last edited by scubadog; 20-12-2013 at 19:21.

You can't use the Primary Producers or Trained Hunters exemption if you sell to a retailer. To use either exemptions you can only supply to the final consumer.
    If you process a carcass in any way, which includes skinning or sell in it's skin to an Approved Game Handling Establishment you need to register as a food business.
    Flogging will continue until morale improves

Quote Originally Posted by Deerstalkermark View Post
    You can't use the Primary Producers or Trained Hunters exemption if you sell to a retailer.
    Yes you can!

2. Do you shoot or arrange shoots and is your onward supply limited to small quantities of game
    in fur or in feather going directly to the final consumer or to local retailers?
    Yes
    You are
    not a food business under the regulations but you are responsible for supplying safe food under Regulation 178/2002. Rules on food traceability may be interpreted by your Local Authority as a need for your premises and/or vehicles to be registered so that action can be quickly taken in the event of a food incident. For more information see primary producers and the primary producer exemption, final consumer, retail exemptions, traceability, FBO’s responsibilities, registration and HACCP.
    MS