Suffolk police

bazil

Hi I just had to tell you all a couple of months ago I was granted a 30-06 on my ticket (great) I asked to have 100 rounds to able to buy but was granted only 60 and to hold in total 80! ( I do reload) so the other day went to buy a box of heads only to be told they come boxes of 100 and they wouldn't split a box so today I phoned my FEO he said I'd have too put my request in a letter and send my cerf in, but I was working a 1/2 mile away from police HQ so I piped in and a very nice hound lady called Kim talked to me asked what I wanted and after explaining what I wanted and she said did I have my FAC with me my answer was yes she said wait here within 15 mins she returned with a brand new FAC amended and signed by the chief inspector so I'd like to thank Suffolk constabulary very much what stars their are, it's true miracles do happen at Christmas bazil

Last edited:
Always found them very good to deal with, and Norfolk too...seems now they have merged they have gone from strength to strength clearly, I'm surprised by your limits though, odd they went so low in the first place.......

Nice to hear Baz, should have told them it was cheaper to by them by the 1000, and as you home load you would never have that many "ready to go" anyway
Not like my stock pile lol

Hi I just had to tell you all a couple of months ago I was granted a 30-06 on my ticket (great) I asked to have 100 rounds to able to buy but was granted only 60 and to hold in total 80! ( I do reload) so the other day went to buy a box of heads only to be told they come boxes of 100 and they wouldn't split a box so today I phoned my FEO he said I'd have too put my request in a letter and send my cerf in, but I was working a 1/2 mile away from police HQ so I piped in and a very nice hound lady called Kim talked to me asked what I wanted and after explaining what I wanted and she said did I have my FAC with me my answer was yes she said wait here within 15 mins she returned with a brand new FAC amended and signed by the chief inspector so I'd like to thank Suffolk constabulary very much what stars their are, it's true miracles do happen at Christmas bazil

What are you saying, that she was a bit of a dog? That she wanted to sniff your trousers and then chase you over hill and dale? I could go on even though your experience shows that she was in fact top dog!

Good that they sorted it out quickly for you, but for me it's another example of the system making work for itself. It was a daft allowance to give you in the first place.

I did type young not hound and did manage to buy some yesterday ( 100) but they were were selling them in 50s as well do you believe! Even better my wife payed for them good girl bazil

A bunch of flowers for her i reckon!

Suffolk Firearms Department worked well for me too, although funnily enough they tooreduced the amount of ammunition I was able to hold and purchase but my inspector said this was due to what they normally do. Still I'm allowed to purchase 100 and hold 120! Normally they let you have a little more freedom as a home loader!

Last edited:
I got a variation to get a 270 through Strathclyde and when I got it back I then decieded to home load , I only had purchase 60 on my ticket and as u have said heads come in boxes of 100, sent it back with a letter explaining why I needed more and it was back in 10 days amended . Told my mate in NI about it and he just laughed , they get to purchase 1000 and that's for every calibre, which does sound extreme.

they get to purchase 1000 and that's for every calibre, which does sound extreme.

I disagree. With the shortage of bullets for reloading at the moment there is not much point spending half a box of 100 testing to find when you go back to get more they have run out and won't get any more for 6 months. Once you have a good load you need to stock up. What if you want two or three different loads/weights for one rifle? I can easily justify my 1000 limit and might even get it raised if things keep on the way they are with shortages.

I got a variation to get a 270 through Strathclyde and when I got it back I then decieded to home load , I only had purchase 60 on my ticket and as u have said heads come in boxes of 100, sent it back with a letter explaining why I needed more and it was back in 10 days amended . Told my mate in NI about it and he just laughed , they get to purchase 1000 and that's for every calibre, which does sound extreme.

This is a perfect example on how they have managed to brainwash most shooters.

I was also told that economy was not a valid reason to have a quantity to purchase. This attitude would no doubt change if it was their own pocket that was taking the hit. When I was shooting 303's on the range a lot I used to buy the Greek HXP ammunition by the case. A case holds 1248 rounds. Surrey did not have a problem with this once enough storage space was proven to be had however the move back to Lincolnshire was a different story on the other hand. Even after the FEO's were round and we did a stock check the renewed ticket had less ammunition allowance than the KNEW I already held in stock.

It's a shame that the Licensing staff are not made liable for the money they waste pursuing their little private ideas and agendas as this may just rein in some of their excesses. However I cannot see this ever happening.

They even had problems comprehending that one might by a bulk lot of component bullets :rolleyes: due tot eh difficulty of obtaining the 7mm bullets that my rifle liked I purchased 1100 of them in one go. At the same time I also bought 900 bullets in 0.277" for the 270 Winchesters and 900 in 6.5mm this meant that I was set up for a few years butt he licensing officer could not get her head around this fact let alone idea and insisted that as I had not bought any recently then I did not need any allowance for these calibres :banghead: . One cannot really make this stuff up but I hear that the licensing officer for Lincolnshire has changed due to her retiring, her deputy (who once told me that he did not believe anyone should own guns :eek:) it seemed died suddenly at his desk some time back so it's all change at the top of the department but I wonder if it's any better or not.

I come under Suffolk and have found them to be very helpful,I can purchase 200 & hold 250 of four C/F calibres and 1000 purchase and 1100 hold of .17 And the same for .22.
I think they are getting tougher as Basil found out,it took them almost 6 weeks to do a 1-4-1 with a .17 instead of picking the phone up which they had in the past with regards to a small query they got the FEO to contact me.
still it keeps him in a job and he's a good bloke.

basil great write up . But to be honest if they put that on the first time round you wouldn't have had to waste your time and their time chasing it up a second time, when I went through a similar thing with the met ,they had the front to have a go at me and was angry at me for their own stupid mistakes. (To put a long story short they would cut their paperwork in half if they gave what they wanted in the first place within reason!!!).

I know this has been quiet for a while but I'm a little confused as to why people think you can't buy as many heads and other components as you want. Just because your FAC says you can only hold 110 rounds is no limiting factor to buying bullet heads by the 1000 if you want to (there is no requirement to even show your FAC when buying anything other than primers (and even that is often ignored if the dealer "knows" you!). Just make sure you don't have more than your limit put together at any one time.

I know this has been quiet for a while but I'm a little confused as to why people think you can't buy as many heads and other components as you want. Just because your FAC says you can only hold 110 rounds is no limiting factor to buying bullet heads by the 1000 if you want to (there is no requirement to even show your FAC when buying anything other than primers (and even that is often ignored if the dealer "knows" you!). Just make sure you don't have more than your limit put together at any one time.

i think your interpretation is somewhat incorrect, and has been discussed at length in other threads. In law, and on your licence, expanding ammunition, including expanding missiles ( heads as you called them ) are limited and count towards your total allowance. Just because your local rfd is happy to break the law, doesn't mean you as a customer should want to accept it, and potentially be found to be non compliant with the terms of your licence.

Not extreme at all , personally I think that any ammo limit is pointless they've already granted the fac why limit your ammo purchase or keep allowance at all it doesn't matter wether you have 100 bullets or 10000 doesn't make you any more or less safe as a shooter

Always found Suffolk FL to be efficient and helpful. They did try to cut my quantities to hold/purchase down from 600/500 to 200/250. I explained that I re-loaded and bought in bulk when products were available due to shortage of supplies and had that condition for about 25 years, they understood and saw my point and that was fine, kept it at 600/500.

Back