Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I did DSC2 a question

If I did DSC2 a question

Hi All

If you have no larder facilities of your own and take all your deer direct ( within reason) to the game dealer how do you cover the larder part or is this not necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post
    Hi All

If you have no larder facilities of your own and take all your deer direct ( within reason) to the game dealer how do you cover the larder part or is this not necessary?
    A couple questions from your assessor on larder work and cleaning procedures is enough to suffice the performance criteria as "good knowledge"evidence.

As a recreational stalker who only shoots for my own consumption my first DSC2 assessment was the first time I had ever visited a game dealer larder, where, other than being shown where things were, I completed the procedure on my own followed by some additional questions from my assessor.
    Wingy

Ok thanks. Would be interested in other peoples experience that don't have their own facilities.

What's termed a field larder is perfectly acceptable - and reasonable variations on that theme.

Page 15 of the edition 6 ( the current one ) is element 4 of ICR -PC's numbered 4.1 - 4.6. These cover the larder side of things and transport. At the bottom of the PC's is the following quite clear instruction -

' *** If no larder is used or the witness's larder and transport is used then the candidate must be questioned on the relevant elements of PC 4.2 to 4.6'

Hope that helps.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

My assessor was fine but the keeper on the estate we used was a bit "over helpful", so I was put off a bit, however, the following visits to complete the necessary number of sessions were fine. One piece of advice would be to have your own sharp knife with you just in case the ones in the larder aren't quite so sharp!! Good luck.

Hi thanks. So these PC elements would cover as you say transport from the field, basic larder prep of carcase for delivery to dealer and larder hygiene. All them could have been done in the field or at a larder.

Cris

Go to here - http://www.dmq.org.uk/download.htm and have a look at the Edition 6 portfolio PDF - you'll see the PC areas and key features listed. But essentially its as you note.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Thanks again and I have had a read on the DMQ site so just wanted some experiences from people that had not the physical facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    What's termed a field larder is perfectly acceptable - and reasonable variations on that theme.

Page 15 of the edition 6 ( the current one ) is element 4 of ICR -PC's numbered 4.1 - 4.6. These cover the larder side of things and transport. At the bottom of the PC's is the following quite clear instruction -

' *** If no larder is used or the witness's larder and transport is used then the candidate must be questioned on the relevant elements of PC 4.2 to 4.6'

Hope that helps.
    Easy one to miss out this.
    If you're handling the deer you take during your ICR's at home then its important to remember to cover the above sections with your AW.
    Its not the AW's responsibility to ensure your portfolio is complete, its yours.
    I had to pay another visit to my AW and go over questions relating to this part and submit them to the assessor after sending my portfolio off.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks