Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 243 help please

243 help please

a little bit of advice please.
    I have a closed certificate and I have applied for a 243 to my local force, along with 2 permission letters from landowners to control the deer.
    my dilemma is that I have done this via a variation on my certificate. I want to drop my 308, in place for the 243.
    I have been asked, why do I want to do this, as the 308 will do the same job as the 243?
    my reply was that as I also shoot foxes, I wanted a more all round rifle, and a better choice of ammunition, and not have to take two rifles with me, i.e. my 223, and my 308.
    if you were my FEO, would you be happy with this answer, or could I give them an alternative answer?
    Thanks in advance.
    Phil

Personally I would think about having the .243 as well as the .308 & .223, rather than instead of.

Your obligations are to provide "good reason" not "need".

You may be fox shooting, particularly when deer are out of season, this is your "good reason" for .223

Your outing may be for both deer and fox which is your "good reason" for .243

If you are intending to shoot a Sika or Red Stag or Wild Boar this would be your "good reason" for .308

What do you have on your permissions, if your shooting is geographically near to you there must at least be some Sika?

atb Tim

+ 1 good reply took the words out of my mouth
    DJC

Stick with the .308 and just use lighter bullets to shoot fox under the AOLQ condition on your certificate.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Hi Tim,
    yes a lot of Sika and Roe.
    Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil House View Post
    a little bit of advice please.
    I have a closed certificate and I have applied for a 243 to my local force, along with 2 permission letters from landowners to control the deer.
    my dilemma is that I have done this via a variation on my certificate. I want to drop my 308, in place for the 243.
    I have been asked, why do I want to do this, as the 308 will do the same job as the 243?
    my reply was that as I also shoot foxes, I wanted a more all round rifle, and a better choice of ammunition, and not have to take two rifles with me, i.e. my 223, and my 308.
    if you were my FEO, would you be happy with this answer, or could I give them an alternative answer?
    Thanks in advance.
    Phil

You could have also said that you want a Deer legal rifle with less felt recoil as well but,what you have said should be fine,if you are a member of BASC ask them for advice........

you have good reason to hold the .243 so dont worry about it...fox and roe no worrys. keep the 308 or you can swap it for .270 as its a far better round

If you are looking to replace the .308 because you can't afford to keep two deer rifles then a .270 would be the perfect caliber to cover you for everything. Fox, roe and sika.

Keep the 308 or you can swap it for .270 as its a far better round [/QUOTE]

+1

this is what i always say to my feo

shooting is like golf ,do you see golfers that only take one club with them on the golf course, no you dont because each club has a place and good reason for being in the bag some are close range, some are long range, some are more loopy than others

say no more it works a treat