Black pheasant

loosehead

I 've never seen a melanistic pheasant before and never seen a pheasant Black pheasant.jpgin my garden in Harrow before. Half an hour ago I saw this!

A big estate near me puts alot of black pheasants out, im fairley sure Jayb knows his stuff on melanistic pheasants.

Shoot up the road had all black birds a couple of years back, left no doubt whos where squashed on the road...

Could be a French Noir, they look black from one angle then more of a brown from another. Even the legs are very dark just the bottoms of the feet are pale.

the lads that do the pheasants on one of my grounds have got a white hen pheasant roaming about , it sticks out like a sore thumb , its been goin about for a couple of years now dont think their allowed to shoot it

if they are like us wi put a £100 fine on pure white pheasants that are shot we do a lot of noir reeves cocks whixh are quite black oin col0our

cheers mate , i didnt know that , dont really speak to them anyway they spooked all my bucks in the one area earlier in the season putting feeders and holding pens up where bucks in velvet were holding , never seen them in the area again by the time they should have cast

if they are like us wi put a £100 fine on pure white pheasants that are shot we do a lot of noir reeves cocks whixh are quite black oin col0our

One of the shoots I used to beat on did the same but only £50 fine then on beaters day all the syndicate guns put £20 in a pot and it was there for any beater who could shoot it. Funny in 5 seasons before the shoot folded it was never seen on beaters day
Wingy

There's an estate near the syndicates I shoot and the past few seasons all the put down was melanistic birds

dont know where they get them from but they look good and flly better too

The estate I worked for changed from Michican Blues to Polish Blacks a few years ago.Beautiful big black birsd that don't stray like the Blues,fly like billy'o as well as making a good bird for the table.
As big as they are I still can't hit 'em :oops:

£30 fine if you shoot it. £50 if you miss!

A few years ago on a little DIY syndicate I used to beat for there was a nearly pure black cock bird but it had a white ring round its neck. We called it he Vicar. It made it right through to the end of the season.... nearly. I shot the Vicar on beaters day!

Back