Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burris Eliminator 111, 4-16*50mm Riflescope.

Burris Eliminator 111, 4-16*50mm Riflescope.

I am thinking about getting a Burris Eliminator 111 Rifle scope. I want to find someone in this forim that is a user and not a sport writer who has one of these scopes

I am seeing plenty of game at long distance up to 500 yards but i am unwilling to take the shot at that distance I need a clean Kill and do not have the strength to follow the running wounded.

I own a parker hale No 4 custom .303 that had very little use and shoots under 1" moa at 100 yards it is in mint condition it has not fired more than 200 rounds as there is still blue in the rifling at the end of the barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Neilo View Post
    I am thinking about getting a Burris Eliminator 111 Rifle scope. I want to find someone in this forim that is a user and not a sport writer who has one of these scopes

I am seeing plenty of game at long distance up to 500 yards but i am unwilling to take the shot at that distance I need a clean Kill and do not have the strength to follow the running wounded.

I own a parker hale No 4 custom .303 that had very little use and shoots under 1" moa at 100 yards it is in mint condition it has not fired more than 200 rounds as there is still blue in the rifling at the end of the barrel
    hi.i have a eliminater 2 on my tikka t3 243,at 100 yds i got 3 v bulls when i zeroed the rifle in so i am very happy with mine.atb adrian

Quote Originally Posted by nala123 View Post
    hi.i have a eliminater 2 on my tikka t3 243,at 100 yds i got 3 v bulls when i zeroed the rifle in so i am very happy with mine.atb adrian
    Was that 100 or 1000 yards?? As one is far more impressive than the other!

I had the mk 2 for a while. It does exactly what it advertises. I found the mk2 limiting slightly, no parallax and not enough magnification for my needs, but i think the mk 3 would be basically ideal now. I never shot out to beyond 300 meters with it, but from 50 meters to 300 it was basically bang on with the bullet drop indicator dot. I home load, so it was a bit of messing about to get it bang on, but with factory stuff it is really easy to set up

Quote Originally Posted by Neilo View Post

Are there any other scopes that compare to the Burris 111

I do not see the point of such scopes, distance i.e. drop is the easiest thing to work out as a range finder will do the work, the burris also relies on a range finder, windage is the hardest and most important factor as is it the hardest to determine, also temp/air pressure plays a part.

I would advise getting a proper target scope that has parallax, and windage/elevation turrets that can be dialled, a scope such as the new S&B 3-20 PM2 is compact and will get the job done quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Cumbrian 1 View Post
    I do not see the point of such scopes, distance i.e. drop is the easiest thing to work out as a range finder will do the work, the Burris also relies on a range finder, windage is the hardest and most important factor as is it the hardest to determine, also temp/air pressure plays a part.

I would advise getting a proper target scope that has parallax, and windage/elevation turrets that can be dialled...
    +1. The Eliminator is designed to permit fast shooting at mobile targets at extended ranges. To me this is a recipe for wounded and lost game.

Besides, any time I've had a distant target in view, I've also had more than enough time to generate a firing solution, and to make a realistic assessment of the viability of taking a shot.

The Eliminator III is undoubtedly better than the previous series, but the fact that you still have to calculate wind means that you might as well work out the whole firing solution on a hand-held device and use a conventional scope, with better optics, adjustments and reticle.

If you want a new toy for long-range work, why not consider Kestrel's 4500NV with the Applied Ballistics calculator built in? It's astoundingly expensive, but also more versatile than the Eliminator, as you can apply the data produced to any rifle/optic combination.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

I've been using one these on one of my dart rifles for several years. Very fast & accurate for this application (10-60m) which I'm sure the manufacturers hadn't imagined. It's repaid itself many many times over. I don't have to use a hand held ranger (which I loose all the time),so the speed to take the shot is halved, this time is the difference between taking a shot & not taking one. I would catch more animals & waste less time & less darts & drugs from misses because of this scope.

I haven't used one on a centre fire at the ranges advertised but several of my mates use them & I haven't heard any negative feedback. I think like everything practice, practice, practice is the key factor when shooting beyond 300m.

Cheers Sharkey

Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    I've been using one these on one of my dart rifles for several years. Very fast & accurate for this application (10-60m) which I'm sure the manufacturers hadn't imagined. It's repaid itself many many times over. I don't have to use a hand held ranger (which I lose all the time),so the speed to take the shot is halved, this time is the difference between taking a shot & not taking one.
    I'm interested to hear this, as I've always felt that the best application of this technology would be at typical rimfire and air rifle ranges, where there is also plenty of drop to contend with but less time to work out ballistics. Nevertheless, the Eliminator III (and previous series too, I think) claims to be calibrated for ranges beyond 100 yards only, and offers no profiles for subsonic ammunition.

Sharkey, what did you have to do to calibrate your scope for darts out to 60m?
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

The times that I hunt is at dawn or late afternoon, shooting over clearings in the bush.
    usually in nil wind conditions. Apart from wild dogs and feral pigs all that I shoot we eat.
    I have been shooting and hunting now for more than 60 years. I have only been using
    optics over the last 10 years.

When I hunt I do make sure that everything is in my favour. I use a factory load with
    known ballistics. I use one brand and type of ammunition per rifle. I always minimise
    the variables.

I thank those Burrris owners for their comments as that is what I am looking for. Keep
    the comments comming.

Cheers Old Neilo