Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muntjac in Scotland

Muntjac in Scotland

Just had a text from a very reliable source saying he had just had a muntjac
    run across the road in from of him in Renfrewshire . I've heard of small populations in Fife but this is the first I've heard of them in the West.

Is this something to get excited about as I only live 20 or so miles from where he saw it? Does anyone know of any elsewhere in Scotland?

The distribution maps produced by the BDS only have muntjac in the vicinity of Gretna in Scotland in 2007 but the human hand seems to be helping them to new areas and they are hard to mistake for anything else that's likely to be in Scotland. There have even been reports from Ireland and muntjac don't swim that well!

Once they are in an area that suits them they are pretty well there for ever as they often take up residence in suburban areas from where it very difficult to control them and provides a reservoir to repopulate areas where they have been culled.

Dead on roads near Stranraer and A9 either died in transit or some kind of prank. If the munties were let go in the central belt green areas they will do well because the roe are almost out of control.

Officially a couple of escapees may still be at large but no breeding populations have been confirmed yet.

Seen live ones near Pitlochry an on the outskirts of Dundee.

There's a small population near Peebles. Seems it's from an estate that brought them in for their ornamental gardens, they fell into disrepair and the deer wandered out.

I stood before the guy and called him a numpty..continued to do so right up till he drove me over and pointed them out.

A friend of mine sed that he saw 2 in a field one morning when he was out stalking north of Dunblane not far from the A9.

He is an experienced stalker so i have to take his word on this.

John

Re: Muntjac in Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer
    run across the road in from of him in Renfrewshire . I've heard of small populations in Fife but this is the first I've heard of them in the West.

Is this something to get excited about as I only live 20 or so miles from where he saw it? Does anyone know of any elsewhere in Scotland?
    Stringer,I asked a friend about this a while ago, and he put me onto this link.

http://data.nbn.org.uk/gridMap/gridM...MSYS0000080204

spotted one in fortwiliam 20years ago when planting for the forestry. never new what it was at the time little buck now i travel to norfolk to shoot them

Re: Muntjac in Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by DL
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer

Stringer,I asked a friend about this a while ago, and he put me onto this link.

http://data.nbn.org.uk/gridMap/gridM...MSYS0000080204
    Just be careful with this map. It is based on every report ever logged of a muntjac (and all the other species) and not necessarily verified or current.

If you look at the map for pine martens for example you will see numerous records in Wales but if you use the interactive map and examine the records you will see that some of them record sightings in previous centuries and hardly any are close to being current. In reality whether there are still any pine martens wild in Wales is open to some debate and at best they are very scarce indeed.

Applying this to the muntjac map you will see that no record in Scotland is more recent than 2000. Records marked as compiled by A. Ward and H. Rose are from the BDS, but the map on the BDS website is the result of a survey carried out between 2004 and 2007 and much more current.

http://www.bds.org.uk/c2/uploads/muntjac.pdf

No map is definitive as it relies on a) someone seeing the deer and b) correctly identifying it.

Thanks for the replies. It would seem that there are small pockets scattered around the country. Heres hoping they are as fecund as I've heard.