Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sharping your knife

sharping your knife

hi I have a EKA swing blade knife but I don't know what the best way of sharping it would be. should I use a good oil stone 3000/1000 or get a diamond sharping stone /stick or a ceramic sharpener. I spend the money for a good knife and I want to keep it that way any advice will be helpful thank you

There's several good knife sharpening systems out there. It's all about maintaing the correct angle.
    Personally I use the Spyderco triangle sharpmaker which uses ceramic rods. I always find the little but often approach is best for maintaining a razor sharp knife.

I have a small oil stone that I use as needed and kept in my stalking bag.

I use the ceramic 4 rod box set from Moray Outfitters for all my blades.

your better with a sharpening stone , one with a rough side to take burrs and chips off then a smooth side for finishing, maybe a 250/1000 grit plenty on ebay

I have a lansky in the workshop and a double sided diamond one in my stalking kit and after a quick tickle with the diamond one you could shave with it

Silverline Tools - Woodwork / Sharpening

Here is a good buy silverline diamond card files 150x50 best buy for diamond slips I've ever seen 7.00 I paid .
    i have the same DMT bench Whetstones At 60.00 each

Spyderco system for me also, there was one for sale in the classified not long ago.

Get some Japanese water stones there the difference between a sharp knife and one you can literally shave with I've got a 1200 and 6000 grit ice bear combo and finish with a strop on decent leather belt