Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going self employed

Going self employed

I know this isn't entirely deer stalking related, however I am planning on going self employed doing deer staking/pheasant rearing/lambing etc...
    Does anyone have any advice on how to go about becoming self employed? as this is all new to me, I am still studying part time at university although only 1-2 years left before I get a degree.

any advice will be appreciated

thanks
    stacey

If your intention is registering as a Ltd Company its a doddle with the help and companies advice available on the internet..

To be succesfull however i hope you have a thorough well thought out plan in place...
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Thanks, well I currently only work part time anyway and I have been booked for 8 weeks of lambing starting at the end of February (which I wouldn't be able to do if I keep my current job). Which would cover almost all my wage from my part time job I have at the moment, I'm planning on expanding my pheasant shoot and hopefully have time to do more with the deer stalking and vermin control that I have.
    I'm just unsure how to start the self employment etc..
    stacey

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
    I know this isn't entirely deer stalking related, however I am planning on going self employed doing deer staking/pheasant rearing/lambing etc...
    Does anyone have any advice on how to go about becoming self employed? as this is all new to me, I am still studying part time at university although only 1-2 years left before I get a degree.

any advice will be appreciated

thanks
    stacey
    Ive been self employed the biggest part of my working life apart for a few years ,it is all down to continuity of work I've found much of the work I had was what the people didn't want to do themselves ,how things have changed in the last 5 years .

Ive had enough now looking for someone else to take the hassle and the let downs, I don't recommend it to anyone due to the undercutting of prices the underhanded back dooring methods being used by the unscrupulous to gain work .

Think about it hard it's not all collecting cash weight up insurance costs, transport costs, material costs, fuel costs ,accountant costs, the list can be endless oh! Don't forget your responsible for your own tax and national insurance.

Never a dull day trust me ,after being out in the element all day coming home to sit and price or invoice for people you know don't have the cash for the job in the first place .

Easy enough to regiter as self employed just phone HMRC and tell them thats the easy bit. then you have to work all hours doing the work then invoicing, pricing ordering parts along with Tax NI and self assesment.

I am self employed but leately I have been thinking I would be better off working for sombody. turn up for work go home job done. I would possibly be worse off finacialy but richer in time to do what I want to?
    Rant over.

Think long and hard is my two pence woth.

I know it won't be easy but I thought if I was going to go for it i would try being self employed while I'm younger (don't have a mortgage etc..) and if it doesn't work I'll have my degree in a couple years to fall back on.

thanks
    stacey

as has been said not all its cracked up to be, I have to have an operation on my shoulder very soon and have been told I will be off for 9 months to a year will be interested to see what I will get on the sick

Quote Originally Posted by multiman View Post
    Easy enough to regiter as self employed just phone HMRC and tell them thats the easy bit. then you have to work all hours doing the work then invoicing, pricing ordering parts along with Tax NI and self assesment.

I am self employed but leately I have been thinking I would be better off working for sombody. turn up for work go home job done. I would possibly be worse off finacialy but richer in time to do what I want to?
    Rant over.

Think long and hard is my two pence woth.
    I reckon that is the answer to the question which was asked.
    I am now self employed, but having been employed for many years i could never go back to answering to some boss, and by the way, there aren't many jobs these days where you just go home and forget about work.

Best of luck which ever road you take.

Cheers

Richard

up until 8 years ago i was employed on paye ,went self employed and for me it was one of the best things i ever done . the worst thing for being self employed for me was having my tax bill fall on the floor three days ago ha ha
    give it a go and if its not for you then at least you tried
    andy

Best thing you will ever do!!

your decision is between self employed individual or limited company,
    the options are based on whether you are investing in large a lungs of hardware and what level you expect to earn.

its a game
    learn the rules and play them hard
    you will find yourself paying significantly less tax if any, you can put a huge amount of stuff you would normally pay for out of net salary through as expenses and if you get into the joys of VAT registration you get up to 20% off everything you buy for work!!

no brainer

you just have to make the money yourself!!