Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I just killed the xmas dinner!

I just killed the xmas dinner!

Having a really big lump of pork for dinner christmas day, so killed the pig this afternoon - a real whopper, weighed about 250 kg liveweight. Will cook a whole fillet joint for xmas lunch (well, as much as will fit in the rayburn). All the veg will be home grown and home made ice cream for afters.
    Just had some of the liver for grub tonight. Lovely! The rest of the liver will be made into pate to have on toast for brekka xmas morning!

Anyone else doing a home produced christmas?

Well done chap ,fallow haunch for us .im afraid the veg and accompaniments from the very splendid Aldi !

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    Having a really big lump of pork for dinner christmas day, so killed the pig this afternoon - a real whopper, weighed about 250 kg liveweight. Will cook a whole fillet joint for xmas lunch (well, as much as will fit in the rayburn). All the veg will be home grown and home made ice cream for afters.
    Just had some of the liver for grub tonight. Lovely! The rest of the liver will be made into pate to have on toast for brekka xmas morning!

Memories ... Me and dad used to kill our own and my grandparents turkeys .. these days you`re lucky if you found a home produced sprout or carrot.
    Memorable days.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Killed mine a little while back - fillet of fallow! Regrettably the veggies will be local green grocer not home grown & the vino will be courtesy of the off-licence - now the sloe gin for the evening, that is home produced...

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post

have not done my own pigs for a while now but we are having some home kill from a friend . we did fatten some large blacks but the black hair proved to be more of a problem to scrape . it is somthing i will do again soon though maybee a middle white cross finding the scaps is a problem these days . hope you enjoy

Roe fillet and roast Pheasant for us all shot by myself, veg from the local farmer though. Nice change from the usual Turkey!!

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

When I was kid an old couple in the village reared 40 or 50 turkeys every year, used to help out feeding etc occasionally and again when it came to killing, plucking & processing. Then I used to spend half of Christmas eve delivering them round the village on my bike carrying then in my newspaper sack! Sadly they gave up as many small producers did when it didn't pay any more.

My pigs wont be ready until march sadldleback x sandys looking forward to it!

You cannot beat home produced food, knowing you produced it makes it taste just that little bit better. Have a great day and enjoy. regards sbm

Venison leg wrapped in bacon with juniper berries, peppercorns, port and asafoetida for Christmas dinner, accompanied by home grown vegetables. Organic free range eggs (from the farm 0.5 miles away) for breakfast (in several different ways, scrambled, fried, poached) and home-made bread.