Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New bolt for the Finnfire

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries

New bolt for the Finnfire

I may have been a complete tool and lost the bolt for my finnfire, I am going to return to where I was this evening and hopefully it will be there. If not, can these be replaced? anyone have any ideas where to source one and if not possible any suggestions as to what I can do?

How annoying , I hate doing things like that :s .

firstly yes sako will replace the bolt at cost , unfortunately it's normally about a third if the cost of a new rifle .
    Secondly a lot of people will tell you that you have to send the rifle back so they can fit it exactly to that rifle . But I can only speek from experience that that is not the case they can normally just replace them .

either way it's well worth a long walk and a good look .

(good luck!)

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    Thanks! I think it should be in a reasonably easy to spot area as I didn't remove it until close to the car. Here's hoping, I am generally good at finding things, I found my scope turrets the day after leaving them in a rape field!

Found it, right by where my car was parked, now its coming home for some TLC.
    Last edited by joed; 23-12-2013 at 08:15.

Glad you found it, now try not to do it again

Neil.

Another reason for keeping all your 'bits' together ;-)
    If you take care securing your rifle it makes sense to keep your bolt in it, as it will also be as secure as your rifle !!

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    Ahh, I always remove the bolt before travelling, it just seems in this instance it slipped out. I'll be more careful though

ooppps... glad you found it.

I bet you're mighty glad you found it....... the horrible sinking feeling isn't good.

I think it was the Brownells website in the US that listed spare Finnfire bolts..... I had one when I knackered the action by just overtightening a one-piece Sportsmatch mount and it cracked along one of the dovetail grooves. (Merde!) They ain't as strong as you think they might be so I now use a torque driver whenever I get near a bolt or screw on a rifle.

I sold the bolt and the knackered action to Richard Pope of Swift Precision........ and yes, I told him up front it was out of proof. I sourced another F'fire and kept the useful bits for spares but this year I got a .17HM2 barrel to fit from Richard..... out of the stock, loosen the 2 cap head screws, swap barrels, tighten screws, back in the stock, re-zero.

Atb

Fizz

Fizz how you fizz how are you finding the mach2? Is ammo still 4.50?
    "If you can't see it, you can't shoot it"

Quote Originally Posted by scotch_egg View Post
    Fizz how you fizz how are you finding the mach2? Is ammo still 4.50?
    Morning Scotch...... apologies, only just seen your post.

To be fair to the Mach2 I haven't done it justice as yet...... using Eley ammo I did find it to be very accurate in the 16" barrel I bought from Richard Pope at Swift Precision but the rabbits round here now seem to be conditioned to run for cover at the sound of any shot..... .22Sub, .17HMR and HM2 so I went back to the .22 barrel as they come out a bit sooner than an HV shot. This is sitting and waiting for rabbits to re-appear, if I were on the move and lamping the HM2 would be back on the rifle.

What I did notice was that, compared to the .22Subs, I wasn't getting the same proportion of one-shot clean kills with the HM2. Now that c'be just down to me not giving it a fair chance and learning the round and it's characteristics and having the confidence in it to up my accuracy level. .......and there's a lot of satisfaction in shooting a .22 accurately... which the Finnfire has in bucket loads.

I did a bit of digging on ammo prices when thinking about the HM2 and found Kranks listing Eley at 10 per 100..... just checked and it's still the same .17 Mach 2 Eley Rimfire Ammunition (per 100) [AMMO029] - 10.00 : Henry Krank, Everything for shooters and collectors

I did speak to them at the time about the 'rumour' that Eley were stopping the manufacture but as far as they were concerned Eley were still listing it and there were no plans to drop it.

I like the round and it's a bloody sight cheaper than HMR to run.

Cheers

Fizz