ruger 10/22

simon1979

just woundering what your throughts were on floating a 10/22 barrel.
theres a tight point by where the band ring is, not sure if i removed this tight spot if it would upset the rest of the rifle?
many thanks for your advise
atb
simon

Muir has recommended several times on here that you should simply remove the barrel band and throw it away. Got to be worth a try Simon.

Some shoot well with the band on & some don't . You can modify the band so it doesn't touch the barrel retaining the classic look of the 10/22 .

Its shoots ok, just worried as the barrel is on the stock under where the band is.
Just wasnt sure if I floated it there, it would create more problems

I will have a look at that book to thanks
Atb
Simon

Mine shot OK with the band on, but a lot better with it removed. I compromised and relieved the inside of the barrel band ( I like the look ) and it's shot well ever since, about 10 yrs if I remember correctly ( doubtful lol )

AB

thanks for the advice, i will try with out, its shoots ok, just think it could be a little better
atb
simon

If you take off ther barrel band and look at it, you'll notice the part that hooks over the stock before the part of the band that goes around the barrel starts. Saw off the over-barrel part of the band above these "hooks" and file it flat, paint it. The band will now be in two pieces but will hold onto the stock just fine and not give it that 'stripped down' look you get when you remove the band entirely. You can now free float it or whatever with no interference from that blasted band. ~Muir

If you take off ther barrel band and look at it, you'll notice the part that hooks over the stock before the part of the band that goes around the barrel starts. Saw off the over-barrel part of the band above these "hooks" and file it flat, paint it. The band will now be in two pieces but will hold onto the stock just fine and not give it that 'stripped down' look you get when you remove the band entirely. You can now free float it or whatever with no interference from that blasted band. ~Muir

thanks muir, i will have go. its not a bad rifle just think a few small improvements would go a long way.
many thanks
simon

I switched my stock barrel for a Green Mountain fluted barrel. Free floating. With the right sub sonics it groups thumb nail size at 50 yards all day. Different matter if there's a bit of wind or out to 100 yards but that's what the 17hmr is for.

Muir has recommended several times on here that you should simply remove the barrel band and throw it away. Got to be worth a try Simon.

When I read this I didn't read barrel BAND! Thought it said remove the barrel and simply throw it away. Unfortunately my personal experience of a ruger 10/22 this is what I should've done with mine, damn thing just wouldn't group and I couldn't be arsed throwing money at it to try and make it work

Last edited:
i could never get tight groups, had two over the years, and always seam to be a feed problem with the ones i bought, hope you sort it soon

photo (11).jpg

This is a 3 shot group I shot this afternoon at 50 yards with CCI Subs (.329"). I like the unpretentious nature of the 10-22 but agree they can be fussy with ammo, it feeds CCI subs faultlessly but will stop every second shot on Winchester - other than a bit of diy trigger 'smoothing' the rifle is stock - the standard trigger is certainly a pig and must effect accuracy, it would happily support the weight of the rifle without
tripping!

Good luck with yours and a happy new year to all :thumb:

View attachment 36288

This is a 3 shot group I shot this afternoon at 50 yards with CCI Subs (.329"). I like the unpretentious nature of the 10-22 but agree they can be fussy with ammo, it feeds CCI subs faultlessly but will stop every second shot on Winchester - other than a bit of diy trigger 'smoothing' the rifle is stock - the standard trigger is certainly a pig and must effect accuracy, it would happily support the weight of the rifle without
tripping!

Good luck with yours and a happy new year to all :thumb:

Thanks bregalad,
have you done any more ther mods to yours, thats a good group,
Ive been getting a 1'' group at 80 yards with cci ammo, dont have any probs with winchester ammo though
many thanks
happy new year
simon

Hi Simon - I polished the bolt and fitted some ptfe rod as a buffer, but haven't adjusted the barrel band or stock - I don't know if it will return to zero after a strip down to clean so removing any tight spots here could make sense.

I also like what Muir was saying about triggers and will stone it a little further, but as the rifle was only £120 including a scope, moderator, slip and ammo - I am loath to throw loads of money at it for surely diminishing gains!

Hi Simon - I polished the bolt and fitted some ptfe rod as a buffer, but haven't adjusted the barrel band or stock - I don't know if it will return to zero after a strip down to clean so removing any tight spots here could make sense.

I also like what Muir was saying about triggers and will stone it a little further, but as the rifle was only £120 including a scope, moderator, slip and ammo - I am loath to throw loads of money at it for surely diminishing gains!

i sent my trigger off some years ago to be 'tuned' and its so much better. But yes i do wounder where you drew the line on how much you spend on trying to improve a rifle. The problem i have even with the faults of the 10/22 it still makes me smile when i use it.

many thanks
simon

Thanks for this Simon - after going out lamping last night and missing more than I hit I am happy to blame the trigger... and have ordered a kit from Rimfiremagic - hopefully this will turn me into Annie Oakley um without the wig :D

Thanks for this Simon - after going out lamping last night and missing more than I hit I am happy to blame the trigger... and have ordered a kit from Rimfiremagic - hopefully this will turn me into Annie Oakley um without the wig :D

I cheated with my trigger it to them, but it does make a big differance.
I also changed the extractor claw and the firing pin.
Ive owned mine from new and its about 10-13 yrs old, ive put about 3000 rounds through it, and thats all have spent on my 10/22.
Yes i have that problem while lamping some nights to, but think its me not the trigger though :doh:

atb
simon

Hi, I had a 10/22 for about 12 months but never liked it. I put in a light trigger, tried different ammo but it was just not accurate enough. I traded it in for a Anchutz bolt action and never looked back. The difference in accuracy is incomparable.

Cheers PhilPhil

Back