Thread: Lightforce Rewiring

Lightforce Rewiring

Has anyone on here re-wired their light force? Great lamp, sh*t wiring, I have had to do it 3 times now due to either the wiring cracking or the connector in the handle pulling out.

I have spoken to Lightforce, they sent me a new wire, but its the same crap they come with new - so thats no good.

Its a 170 variable if that makes any difference, I still fancy keeping the dimmer and switch on the handle so its just a new wire I need, and I assume a new ciggy plug as I have not checked you can unwire the one it comes with. I need to stick to the cig plug as I use a mates car and I doubt he would like me rewiring to his battery!

So, I guess I am after recommendations of type of wire etc, I have no idea with electrics.

Regards,

Karl

For flex I'd use

PL03875 - PRO ELEC - SPIROFLEX LEAD 10A BLACK | CPC

The lazy option is something like this:

AR-9803 - -- - 12V-CAR 2M EXTENSION LEAD | CPC

and cut off the end you don't need. Doubt that would be long enough.

Just make sure you DONT do away with a fuse

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

100W bulb so 8.3A

Think I would prefer a straight lead rather than the curly one.

Apache, have you used that one from ebay? I take it you just swap the lighter plug for one with a fuse as it says its not fused?

Quote Originally Posted by karlbird View Post
    Think I would prefer a straight lead rather than the curly one.
    Same as me, certainly catches and tangle less. I use the orange lead from a flymo or similar

Akeld, you use the standard light force cigarette plug or change that too?

Quote Originally Posted by karlbird View Post
    Akeld, you use the standard light force cigarette plug or change that too?
    Still used a cigar plug but not the LF one, it was one I already had, apparently the DIN plugs are the ones to have, higher amp rating but will still work in a standard socket. Personally I've never had a problem using standard plugs. On another lamp I use a permaplug and socket, very good amp rating and I've yet to hear of one suffering from heat damage.

SD Regular
    I have had good success rewiring a number of lamps using automotive cable like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-Core-...item2a07772a4d - you can buy as much or as little as you need;

and a the cigarette plug from them too (saves postage if nothing else) - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-Core-...item2a07772a4d - which has a nice locking mechanism to stop it pulling out at awkward moments (if you use the compatible socket, which is worth wiring in).

You could get away with the 10A wire as Apache says, but the 15A seems to cope with the heat from the current draw better. I also use their QR connectors to safely joint wires so I can have along one in the cab and quickly swap to a short one with a battery if I need to quickly go off on foot.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........