Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mikhail Kalashnikov, has died aged 94

Mikhail Kalashnikov, has died aged 94

Mikhail Kalashnikov, has died aged 94

BBC News - Inventor of Kalashnikov rifle dies

ATB,

Scrummy

Now there's a man who left his mark on the world. If I don't see another one of those again it would be too soon.
    RIP MrK (not the short version..)
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

A few years ago I saw a very interesting programme on Mr K and his invention I did not know he was still alive. Well obviously he isn't now but you know what i mean. regards sbm

Yep, that 'death thing' sure puts the 'being still alive thing' to rights...

PS yes, know what you mean. Saw it too, he shoots an elk with an AK as I recall.
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

At our peril do we ever forget what the Russians went through: "... in the end, only men and stones endured ...". He was a great man who came up with the right answer for his country at the time (1947) and it was not his fault that his weapon became the notorious icon that it did. He's right up there with Mauser, Colt, Lee and the rest - even though I don't think he ever made a decent stalking rifle!

RIP M.K, iv still got my trophy just a dust cover from a time spent the wrong side of them rattlers .but still a fine weapon for the common man, it holds the top prize for more deaths from this rifle than any other.

The basic design really came from Germany in the form of the StG44.

Also check out the similarities between the American M60 and the German MG42 machine guns.

German rocket scientists weren't the only ones being snapped up by the allies at the end of the war .
    Last edited by private fraser; 23-12-2013 at 22:34.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    The basic design really came from Germany in the form of the StG44.

Also check out the similarities between the American M60 and the German MG42 machine guns.

German rocket scientists weren't the only ones being snapped up by the allies at the end of the war .

Yeah many people still think that the AK was his own design it was near as dammit a copy of the Sturmgewehr 44.

I'll bet the tolerances would be worlds apart on the Stg44, anyone see the demo of the AK after being driven over while laying in the sand?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

A lot of blood spilt because of this man