Federal 140gr Power Shok 6.5x55 (soft points)

woollyback

I been to buy some 6.5x55 factory ammunition today and come back with a couple boxes of Federal 140gr Power Shok (soft points) to try through my Tikka T3 lite.

On inspection of the ammunition, all of the bullet heads appear "blued" and not the traditional copper colouration. It is definitely not black, its a blued marbling affect of the bullet heads which I've not seen before.

It my first time using Federal Ammunition so it just took me by surprise. Does any one shoot this stuff regularly, and is this bluing normal?

Regards,

Woollyback

I thought it would be something along those lines but I wasn't entirely sure, thanks for clarifying Pointblank. What is the benefit of having this coating as opposed to plain copper?

I think it has been dismissed as a bit of a gimmick with the aim of reducing friction but it doesn't hurt and they certainly used to group the best in my 6.5x55 when it was new.

dont worry about it , just shoot them should produce a 1" group no problem ! shot hundreds of them before i started to home load !

That's a super cartridge, mine of choice and shoots sub 1" very happily thanks very much (even on DSC1...out it comes again...) through a 202.
IMG_1992.jpg

I been to buy some 6.5x55 factory ammunition today and come back with a couple boxes of Federal 140gr Power Shok (soft points) to try through my Tikka T3 lite.

On inspection of the ammunition, all of the bullet heads appear "blued" and not the traditional copper colouration. It is definitely not black, its a blued marbling affect of the bullet heads which I've not seen before.

It my first time using Federal Ammunition so it just took me by surprise. Does any one shoot this stuff regularly, and is this bluing normal?

Regards,

Woollyback

This is news to me, but Federal are now using moly-coated bullets in another line too .... their Premium .243:-

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=214

and the 'standard' line you're trying ........

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=44

It doesn't improve accuracy, but is supposed to make the bullets more slippery to increase MV. I wouldn't buy moly-coated bullets for reloading as they're a bit pricier. I like shiny ones anyway, but that's just me.

I see no mention of removing the Moly Fouling!

It seems strange that seeing as how most of the target shooters who first hailed Moly as the be all and end all no longer use it.

Back