Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: can a driving offence effect my firearms (THIS IS NOT DRINK DRIVING)

can a driving offence effect my firearms (THIS IS NOT DRINK DRIVING)

can anybody tell me if my police have the right to revoke my firearms certificate if i am convicted of driving without due care and attention or dangerous driving cheers.

Dangerous driving will more than likely take your tickets ! It can be taken that you are not a fit person to hold a Firearm.
    The Police have a duty to remove your Certs if you COULD be a danger to the public

Get them to a RFD asap

Not sure about driving without due care but would expect some comment at the least for dangerous driving. It shows you are not a responsible or reliable person in the eyes of the law.

Yes I know we all make errors and it might not be correct but their number one priority is the publics safety.

There,s a bit of a difference between due care and DD. can you give more details please

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN.G View Post
    can anybody tell me if my police have the right to revoke my firearms certificate if i am convicted of driving without due care and attention or dangerous driving cheers.
    There is nothing in law which prohibits you outright from holding an FAC if you are convicted of either of those offences (unless there is > 3 months prison time involved in the case of DD in which case the 7 year exclusion might apply) however, depending upon the circumstances, it could certainly provide them with good reason to believe that you are no longer suitable.

For example, I know someone who was done for Driving Without Due Care (he accidentally cut someone up on the motorway and caused a minor accident), got points and a fine at magistrates court. Nothing was brought up until his renewal when he declared it and got a bit of a grilling but nothing more.

Dangerous driving usually means an element of recklessness/intent involved though....

Nothing is set in stone... It's all case by case. Get some good legal advice and as stated, think about maybe storing your firearms just case.
    Last edited by csl; 23-12-2013 at 19:13.

Dean. G

It helps to be 'up front' about these things rather than generalise. But the police would have to assimilate the circumstances and decide whether the particular behaviour was sufficient to construe that your possession of a firearm would make you a danger to public safety or unfitted to possess such a firearm. No need to store at RFD yet.

Frank
    Last edited by Frank Homes; 23-12-2013 at 19:14.

hit a wall on way back from being out with lamp police interviewed me about it all insured and legal on that this is just the letter they sent me saying what road they could be going down when i go to see them in the new year and at the end of the day day anyone can have a bump in there motor

don't take any chances, like Splash said get them to a RFD asap if they revoke certificate they could put a destruction order on your guns, until everything is sorted.

best of luck JWB

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN.G View Post
    hit a wall on way back from being out with lamp police interviewed me about it all insured and legal on that this is just the letter they sent me saying what road they could be going down when i go to see them in the new year and at the end of the day day anyone can have a bump in there motor
    What does the letter say? Did they actually serve you with a notice of intent to prosecute?

Jwb
    They can't put any destruction order on his guns
    Frank