Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .30 175gr Sierra Matchking equivalent for game

Blog Entries

.30 175gr Sierra Matchking equivalent for game

I'm researching some ballistics info for this trip to Canada.

My favoured stalking rifle is my Sako 75 in 25-06 but if I go for a black bear hunt the received wisdom is 180gr in .308. Well my .308 is a Remington 700 PSS with a PES T12.

I don't think I can get anywhere near this with the 25-06 for punch. I have used 100gr Nosler BT's for everything up to fallow but this is a different kettle of fish.

My Remington was built for prone, medium to long range shooting. I'm not sure it's something I want to cart round a woods all day. However I've used this rifle extensively with 175gr Sierra Matchkings and it does have the advantage of making me supremely confident to hit the spot I need to. However I'm not sure about how Canada views moderators. I know they are a difficult item in the US.

Loads to research but I guess the first step is to see if any of you chaps know how close I can get to my beloved 175gr SMK's for weight and BC in .308 in the UK.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Try the 178 Amax
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by NorthDorset View Post
    I'm researching some ballistics info for this trip to Canada.

My favoured stalking rifle is my Sako 75 in 25-06 but if I go for a black bear hunt the received wisdom is 180gr in .308. Well my .308 is a Remington 700 PSS with a PES T12.

I don't think I can get anywhere near this with the 25-06 for punch. I have used 100gr Nosler BT's for everything up to fallow but this is a different kettle of fish.

My Remington was built for prone, medium to long range shooting. I'm not sure it's something I want to cart round a woods all day. However I've used this rifle extensively with 175gr Sierra Matchkings and it does have the advantage of making me supremely confident to hit the spot I need to. However I'm not sure about how Canada views moderators. I know they are a difficult item in the US.

Loads to research but I guess the first step is to see if any of you chaps know how close I can get to my beloved 175gr SMK's for weight and BC in .308 in the UK.
    No! Not difficult at all! get caught hunting with one in most states and they simply throw you in jail to await trial. Nothing difficult about it!

If you're shooting black bear you probably won't be needing to shoot very far. Go with the 180 grain and don't worry too much about it.~Muir

As Muir says, 180 grain, perhaps a Nosler Partition.
    I think the moderator is a non starter, from what i understand you can apply for a license, but i expect that's just for residents.
    When i went to Montana i had to leave it at home, glad i did, rarely used since then.
    Make sure you know the difference between a black and a grizz.
    Cheers
    Richard

A lot of the guys I know in Canada use enfield 303s with 180 grain sp they'll stop a moose or a bear. Forget the mod they don't like them and you could end up spending your holiday in jail if the catch you with it.
    Last edited by Dragunov; 24-12-2013 at 08:03.

Blog Entries
    I have a Lee Enfield Number 4. That's absolutely an option. I hadn't thought of that.

I have a scope mount for it too but the comb is far to low when its in use.

Good thought though. I will have a play.

** Have been trying to find any expanding .311 bullets to no avail***
    Last edited by NorthDorset; 24-12-2013 at 09:49.

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

** Have been trying to find any expanding .311 bullets to no avail***
    Edgar's and Henry Krank's keep stock.
    Not that it's much good to you, but I have 123's 125's 150's 175's and 184's in varying quantities.

Neil.

Blog Entries
    Are you sure Neil?

I have been on Kranks website and they don't seem to have expanding .311. I have a buddy going there in the New Year. Would be handy.

****Forget that. They are listed under .303. Sorry, not been at the Port early I promise!****

Edgars only sell to retailers as far as I am aware and none of my usual haunts seem to have anything like that showing.
    Last edited by NorthDorset; 24-12-2013 at 12:25.

Are you sure Neil?

I have been on Kranks website and they don't seem to have expanding .311. I have a buddy going there in the New Year. Would be handy.

****Forget that. They are listed under .303. Sorry, not been at the Port early I promise!****

Edgars only sell to retailers as far as I am aware and none of my usual haunts seem to have anything like that showing.
    here you go, you just need to know where to look
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Sierra gameking 180grn spitzers will do the job 24 50 /100 from kranks. As for the comb I have the dimentions for the comb used on #4ts if you have the inclination to make 1 or you should be able get 1 from the shop down at bisley range or failing that try EFD rifles based in East Sussex they specialize in rebuilding and selling enfields.