Thread: scope and claw mounts for a mauser 98...

scope and claw mounts for a mauser 98...

Hey folks,
    I have a 6x42 scope on Suhler Einhack Montage (SEM) on my 98 Mauser. Considering a different scope. Wondering if there'd be any interest in the setup I have. Didn't post in classifieds because I'm not set on selling yet. Be out a couple days and will check back.

Merry Christmas. Dave

Why would you want to change something that is the best mounting system for something inferior. Stick with the 6x42. I swapped a 6x42 for a swaro 4-12x50 and guess what - it stays at 6 power so frankly the effort wasn't worth it overall.

If you are wanting a wide view sight for short range use go with a red dot doctor type in a mount that goes into the rear mount.

You can also get new claws / and or rings that fit the existing mounts. I was quoted just over 100 for a set for mine - ok they then need fitting, but overall cheaper and better than fitting a swing mount. You can also cut off the rings and screw on a rail onto the claw bases and then attach a scope to the rail with normal rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Why would you want to change something that is the best mounting system for something inferior. Stick with the 6x42. I swapped a 6x42 for a swaro 4-12x50 and guess what - it stays at 6 power so frankly the effort wasn't worth it overall.

If you are wanting a wide view sight for short range use go with a red dot doctor type in a mount that goes into the rear mount.

You can also get new claws / and or rings that fit the existing mounts. I was quoted just over 100 for a set for mine - ok they then need fitting, but overall cheaper and better than fitting a swing mount. You can also cut off the rings and screw on a rail onto the claw bases and then attach a scope to the rail with normal rings.
    I work with a gunsmith and asked another.. Both told me that it would cost more to put on a different scope than to swap out everything... Were gonna make me a deal to mount something and take my old scope/mounts in trade..... Couldn't be they were trying to take advantage of me...
    Neither one mentioned the adapter you talked about...
    Thanks for the tip....

SD Regular
    I'd definitely be interested in buying the taken off bases, mounts and, maybe, the 'scope as well. PM me. That's if I've understood you post aright?

I think I may keep what I have after the tip heym gave me. I kinda went in blind to a gunsmith (2) And it seems they were gonna take me for a ride.

Merry Christmas.