Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stormy Weather

Stormy Weather

Hi,

With 20+ people needing rescuing from flooded cars in Dorset, I hope that everyone is safe following the storm yesterday/last night and keep their heads down for today. regards sbm

Quote Originally Posted by seibassman7 View Post
    Hi,

With 20+ people needing rescuing from flooded cars in Dorset, I hope that everyone is safe following the storm yesterday/last night and keep their heads down for today. regards sbm
    Yip were safe in Scotland but we know it's winter up here and act accordingly, not as if this is something new we've had this every year, I can remember which is a bit more than half a century .

God forbid we ever get some of the winters we use to get .

You mean the real stuff rather than the wrong type of snow or frost in December?

When the snow came at the end of November 2010, it was a genuine foot deep minimum with us after the first dump. Not drifts, a uniform depth. That's nothing compared to some areas in Scotland. However, what was surprising was just how long it lay for with the prolonged freezing temperatures. Then there was more snow fall to just keep topping it up.

My wife asked me if I was going to go out and help some of the folk in the village to clear the roads. I asked why, my 4x4 gets through it just fine! She said I was a selfish git! I then said I pay for an expensive car, run it all year at 30mpg, not as comfy as a nice saloon or estate vehicle, pay 150 per tyre, over 200 a year on road tax etc, and why? So I don't have to clear the bloody road every winter!!!!! If they want to run about in road tax free cars that do 50mpg that cope for only 10 months of the year, smiling at having to visit the garage only once a month, then let them clear their own bloody road!!!!

My mate agreed with me...

I would (and have) stop to help stranded motorists broken down, or pull them up a hill in the snow whenever I see them, but refuse to dig out someone else's car! Elderly who are incapable are an exception obviously...

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    When the snow came at the end of November 2010, it was a genuine foot deep minimum with us after the first dump. Not drifts, a uniform depth. That's nothing compared to some areas in Scotland. However, what was surprising was just how long it lay for with the prolonged freezing temperatures. Then there was more snow fall to just keep topping it up.

My wife asked me if I was going to go out and help some of the folk in the village to clear the roads. I asked why, my 4x4 gets through it just fine! She said I was a selfish git! I then said I pay for an expensive car, run it all year at 30mpg, not as comfy as a nice saloon or estate vehicle, pay 150 per tyre, over 200 a year on road tax etc, and why? So I don't have to clear the bloody road every winter!!!!! If they want to run about in road tax free cars that do 50mpg that cope for only 10 months of the year, smiling at having to visit the garage only once a month, then let them clear their own bloody road!!!!

My mate agreed with me...

I would (and have) stop to help stranded motorists broken down, or pull them up a hill in the snow whenever I see them, but refuse to dig out someone else's car! Elderly who are incapable are an exception obviously...

What a big hearted person you are .lol you must be a busy person the borders is like gods waiting room with OAPs

I saw one last year a guy with a 4x4 towing a car out with a rope an impatient driver thought he would nip between the two vehicles not seeing the rope and wrapped the three vehicles together ,not sure just how you would word that to the insurance

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    What a big hearted person you are .lol you must be a busy person the borders is like gods waiting room with OAPs

I saw one last year a guy with a 4x4 towing a car out with a rope an impatient driver thought he would nip between the two vehicles not seeing the rope and wrapped the three vehicles together ,not sure just how you would word that to the insurance
    He he, that would be worth seeing!

Honestly, help any stranded motorist, stop and change a flat for elderly drivers, give a lift, pull out ditches. I've done it. But digging out someones car for them????? Nah.....

Always an exception though...

Got a bit wild up on the Berkshire downs and the thatch leaked but otherwise all ok.

Very stormy night down here on the Surrey/Sussex border. Lots of wind all night. I am supposed to go up to London now but am not sure if the roads will be flooded, as there is a lot of standing water in the fields by the road. Might need a boat to get to guildford...

Hope it clears up by tommorow I'm off to my ground down south :/
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

My gutters were totally overwhelmed last night and water was being blown up under the lead flashing... Water has been coming out of all sorts of weird and wonderful places

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1123.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	401.4 KB 
ID:	35996