Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7.62x53r reloading for M39 Finnish Nagant

7.62x53r reloading for M39 Finnish Nagant

Dear All,

i have an Issue! I have recently acquired an 1942 M39 B Barrel Finnish Nagant. I have found out through slugging the bore that it's calibre is .3095 give or take a thou.

Lee reloading die is made for 7.62x54r Russian, which has a decapper/expanding pin indexed from .308.

Firstly I'm wondering if I should use .308 bullet head in reloaded ammo in this rifle?
    Scondly could I swap out the decapping pin for a .303 one so I can use .311 heads when reloading?
    Thirdly has anyone come across this problem, and if so what course of action did you take?

all replies are much welcomed.

thanks

james

You can shoot 308 bullets through it, or .311's for that matter. I am not a fan of undersized bullets so I would scout out some .310 or .311 bullets. About all the commercial ammo load .310 or .311 bullets. Just use the standard loading plug.

I have the same rifle and it's a great shooter. I only shoot cast bullets in my Finns anymore but the B-39 is one of my favorites.~Muir

Hi Muir,

i do have some 174gr .311 I use for my No.4, so I'll give them a go. I'm not quite setup to use cast bullets yet, I'm not going to be putting thousands of rounds through this rifle so I'll stick to normal FMJs.

so the de capping pin in my 54r reloading dies is okay for .311s? I thought this ion was a .308? Am I not going to cause gaulling of the bullet head if I jam it into a neck sized for .308?

James

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    You can shoot 308 bullets through it, or .311's for that matter. I am not a fan of undersized bullets so I would scout out some .310 or .311 bullets. About all the commercial ammo load .310 or .311 bullets. Just use the standard loading plug.

I have the same rifle and it's a great shooter. I only shoot cast bullets in my Finns anymore but the B-39 is one of my favorites.~Muir

Hey James, it's good to see you back. I've run into the same problem with 7.62X54 and 7.62X39. The Hornady 7.62X39 dies I have came with both sizers included, but the RCBS 7.62X54 dies didn't. I had a spare .311 expander and just changed it out. To be honest I didn't try to load .311 bullets using the .308 expander so I don't know if it would work or not, but I don't think it would make much, if any, difference. By the way the M-39 is arguably the best Moisin Nagant variant made, good score.

Hope this helps, AB
    Last edited by alberta boy; 24-12-2013 at 16:05.

AB,

hows as it going dude?!

thanks for the advice! I'm going to stuff my .303 expander in the 54r die and see how it works out.

results to follow

Merry Christmas

J

Quote Originally Posted by alberta boy View Post
    Hey James, it's good to see you back. I've run into the same problem with 7.62X54 and 7.62X39. The Hornady 7.62X39 dies I have came with both sizers included, but the RCBS 7.62X54 dies didn't. I had a spare .311 expander and just changed it out. To be honest I didn't try to load .311 bullets using the .308 expander so I don't know if it would work or not, but I don't think it would make much, if any, difference. By the way the M-39 is arguably the best Moisin Nagant variant made, good score.

Hope this helps, AB

I have never had an issue. It's only .0015" per side, really.
    Frankly, I think the M 28-30 is the best!! Tho I have had my best scores with a raggety looking SAKO 39. I set a cast bullet competition record at my old range in New Mexico with it. I have a "Sneak Rifle"dated 1967 that I have never fired. It was as new and seemingly unfired when I got it so i left it that way. Likewise, I have a Model 27 that appears to be unfired so I have left it be. I also have an RV-27 Carbine that I've never fired. Too darned valuable to be taking to the range.... I love Finn Nagants.~Muir

I've had a few Finn Nagants over the years and all of them were amazing rifles. I'm currently without at the moment since I gave my M-27 to a freind of mine. One thing I have noticed is the prices are starting to go up, for some models more than others. The prices on the Soviet M-38's and M-44's are getting up there to, maybe I'm just getting old lol

By the way James, how did the 03A3 shoot ?

AB

I've had a few Finn Nagants over the years and all of them were amazing rifles. I'm currently without at the moment since I gave my M-27 to a freind of mine. One thing I have noticed is the prices are starting to go up, for some models more than others. The prices on the Soviet M-38's and M-44's are getting up there to, maybe I'm just getting old lol

AB
    Must be a damned good friend! Even a beater 39 is running $400 here. A Model 24 is running $600 for a beater. M-28's are almost impossible to find under $500. I bought a Finn marked M-91 at a gun show a while back for $50 because it was missing a bolt head. I had several complete bolt heads and put it together. Lovely shooting rifle.

I got into a stint of buying M 91/30 Russian guns if they had Hexagonal receivers. I think I bought 6 of them @ $125 US in Arsenal Rebuilt condition. All had interesting marks and were dated from the 1920's. None of them will shoot with a Finn though, despite being newly rebarreled.~Muir

Merry Christmas.

Now Muir have you ever had one the the Radom made (11) Polish ones. i thing most were carbines but by did the two that we had shoot well. Best with the Greenish lacquered steel case ammo. We got a couple from York Guns and they were 1950's manufacture.

AB,

the 03A3, shoots like a champ! I was offered 1000 for it last week, not a bad upshot on my original investment of 350! It's one of my fave rifles, right after my M41b original Carl Gustav sniper. I'm actually starting up a small business for fine, collectible and antique firearms in Berkshire from my farm, so I'm looking for import connections in Europe and the US if you know anyone?

My M39 is a really nice example, mint condition, and it has a beautiful plum coloured 'B' barrel, everything is matching it's a beaut! Just trying to use the right ammo for it, so I'm going to stuff .311s in some Lapua 53r cases.

thanks for all the feedback and Merry Christmas.

james

AB