7.62x53r reloading for M39 Finnish Nagant

schaafman

Dear All,

i have an Issue! I have recently acquired an 1942 M39 B Barrel Finnish Nagant. I have found out through slugging the bore that it's calibre is .3095 give or take a thou.

Lee reloading die is made for 7.62x54r Russian, which has a decapper/expanding pin indexed from .308.

Firstly I'm wondering if I should use .308 bullet head in reloaded ammo in this rifle?
Scondly could I swap out the decapping pin for a .303 one so I can use .311 heads when reloading?
Thirdly has anyone come across this problem, and if so what course of action did you take?

all replies are much welcomed.

thanks

james

You can shoot 308 bullets through it, or .311's for that matter. I am not a fan of undersized bullets so I would scout out some .310 or .311 bullets. About all the commercial ammo load .310 or .311 bullets. Just use the standard loading plug.

I have the same rifle and it's a great shooter. I only shoot cast bullets in my Finns anymore but the B-39 is one of my favorites.~Muir

Hi Muir,

i do have some 174gr .311 I use for my No.4, so I'll give them a go. I'm not quite setup to use cast bullets yet, I'm not going to be putting thousands of rounds through this rifle so I'll stick to normal FMJs.

so the de capping pin in my 54r reloading dies is okay for .311s? I thought this ion was a .308? Am I not going to cause gaulling of the bullet head if I jam it into a neck sized for .308?

James

You can shoot 308 bullets through it, or .311's for that matter. I am not a fan of undersized bullets so I would scout out some .310 or .311 bullets. About all the commercial ammo load .310 or .311 bullets. Just use the standard loading plug.

I have the same rifle and it's a great shooter. I only shoot cast bullets in my Finns anymore but the B-39 is one of my favorites.~Muir

Hey James, it's good to see you back. I've run into the same problem with 7.62X54 and 7.62X39. The Hornady 7.62X39 dies I have came with both sizers included, but the RCBS 7.62X54 dies didn't. I had a spare .311 expander and just changed it out. To be honest I didn't try to load .311 bullets using the .308 expander so I don't know if it would work or not, but I don't think it would make much, if any, difference. By the way the M-39 is arguably the best Moisin Nagant variant made, good score.

Hope this helps, AB

Last edited:
AB,

hows as it going dude?!

thanks for the advice! I'm going to stuff my .303 expander in the 54r die and see how it works out.

results to follow

Merry Christmas

J

Hey James, it's good to see you back. I've run into the same problem with 7.62X54 and 7.62X39. The Hornady 7.62X39 dies I have came with both sizers included, but the RCBS 7.62X54 dies didn't. I had a spare .311 expander and just changed it out. To be honest I didn't try to load .311 bullets using the .308 expander so I don't know if it would work or not, but I don't think it would make much, if any, difference. By the way the M-39 is arguably the best Moisin Nagant variant made, good score.

Hope this helps, AB

I have never had an issue. It's only .0015" per side, really.
Frankly, I think the M 28-30 is the best!! Tho I have had my best scores with a raggety looking SAKO 39. I set a cast bullet competition record at my old range in New Mexico with it. I have a "Sneak Rifle"dated 1967 that I have never fired. It was as new and seemingly unfired when I got it so i left it that way. Likewise, I have a Model 27 that appears to be unfired so I have left it be. I also have an RV-27 Carbine that I've never fired. Too darned valuable to be taking to the range.... I love Finn Nagants.~Muir

I've had a few Finn Nagants over the years and all of them were amazing rifles. I'm currently without at the moment since I gave my M-27 to a freind of mine. One thing I have noticed is the prices are starting to go up, for some models more than others. The prices on the Soviet M-38's and M-44's are getting up there to, maybe I'm just getting old lol

By the way James, how did the 03A3 shoot ?

AB

I've had a few Finn Nagants over the years and all of them were amazing rifles. I'm currently without at the moment since I gave my M-27 to a freind of mine. One thing I have noticed is the prices are starting to go up, for some models more than others. The prices on the Soviet M-38's and M-44's are getting up there to, maybe I'm just getting old lol

AB

Must be a damned good friend! Even a beater 39 is running $400 here. A Model 24 is running $600 for a beater. M-28's are almost impossible to find under $500. I bought a Finn marked M-91 at a gun show a while back for $50 because it was missing a bolt head. I had several complete bolt heads and put it together. Lovely shooting rifle.

I got into a stint of buying M 91/30 Russian guns if they had Hexagonal receivers. I think I bought 6 of them @ $125 US in Arsenal Rebuilt condition. All had interesting marks and were dated from the 1920's. None of them will shoot with a Finn though, despite being newly rebarreled.~Muir

Merry Christmas.

Now Muir have you ever had one the the Radom made (11) Polish ones. i thing most were carbines but by did the two that we had shoot well. Best with the Greenish lacquered steel case ammo. We got a couple from York Guns and they were 1950's manufacture.

AB,

the 03A3, shoots like a champ! I was offered £1000 for it last week, not a bad upshot on my original investment of £350! It's one of my fave rifles, right after my M41b original Carl Gustav sniper. I'm actually starting up a small business for fine, collectible and antique firearms in Berkshire from my farm, so I'm looking for import connections in Europe and the US if you know anyone?

My M39 is a really nice example, mint condition, and it has a beautiful plum coloured 'B' barrel, everything is matching it's a beaut! Just trying to use the right ammo for it, so I'm going to stuff .311s in some Lapua 53r cases.

thanks for all the feedback and Merry Christmas.

james

AB

Hey Muir,

I had the opportunity to have a 28-30, what's the differences Vs. M39?

I'm going to use .311s in the M39, I'm sure there won't be any over pressure issues, I will low load initially with 39gr of N140 behind a 174 fmjbt head.

will post results shortly.

james

I have never had an issue. It's only .0015" per side, really.
Frankly, I think the M 28-30 is the best!! Tho I have had my best scores with a raggety looking SAKO 39. I set a cast bullet competition record at my old range in New Mexico with it. I have a "Sneak Rifle"dated 1967 that I have never fired. It was as new and seemingly unfired when I got it so i left it that way. Likewise, I have a Model 27 that appears to be unfired so I have left it be. I also have an RV-27 Carbine that I've never fired. Too darned valuable to be taking to the range.... I love Finn Nagants.~Muir

I had the opportunity to have a 28-30, what's the differences Vs. M39?

Receivers were never manufactured in Finland. So all Finnish Mosins (as they're abbreviated here, term "Nagant" is used for the revolver M1895) are rebuilt using Russian receivers.

M28-30 (nicknamed Pystykorva, "Spitz" for the front sight protecting ears) is basically an older model geared towards Civil Guard training and competition. M39 (nicknamed Ukko-Pekka after the contemporary president (actually his nickname) who was a shooting enthusiast) is later military model. M28-30 uses .308" barrel, and M39 usually .309"-.310". But as you mentioned slugging tells the truth.

In Finland D46 bullets were developed for .308" barrels and D166 for looser ones. Some M28-30 are also modified to be compatible with later D166 ammunition by lengthening the throat to prevent higher peak pressure.

Finnish AK-47 version RK-62 also uses similar groove diameter to most M39. So S405 bullets (8g FMJ) are used especially for shorter distances (recoil is substantially lower).

But there's no reason to fret over the bullet diameter. Start low and use a bullet that shoots OK, including newer designs in .308" caliber. My first choice wouldn't be steel cased surplus ammunition. The recoil is quite harsh (steel buttplates etc.) and only certain batches have acceptable accuracy.

Tuned in to help this guy ... like Muir ... thinking he was new to all this (I couldn't stop coughing as the greasy Xmas turkey was being cremated, but venison makes people heave ....... I'm told?).

Have posted much the same advice to his other thread on the same vein under Classifieds -Components Needed. Not even acknowledged, but that's not unusual now on SD.

Now this trail emerges .........

[Dear All,

i have an Issue! I have recently acquired an 1942 M39 B Barrel Finnish Nagant. I have found out through slugging the bore that it's calibre is .3095 give or take a thou.

Lee reloading die is made for 7.62x54r Russian, which has a decapper/expanding pin indexed from .308.

Firstly I'm wondering if I should use .308 bullet head in reloaded ammo in this rifle?
Scondly could I swap out the decapping pin for a .303 one so I can use .311 heads when reloading?
Thirdly has anyone come across this problem, and if so what course of action did you take?

all replies are much welcomed.

thanks

james

THEN...........

AB,

the 03A3, shoots like a champ! I was offered £1000 for it last week, not a bad upshot on my original investment of £350! It's one of my fave rifles, right after my M41b original Carl Gustav sniper. I'm actually starting up a small business for fine, collectible and antique firearms in Berkshire from my farm, so I'm looking for import connections in Europe and the US if you know anyone?

My M39 is a really nice example, mint condition, and it has a beautiful plum coloured 'B' barrel, everything is matching it's a beaut! Just trying to use the right ammo for it, so I'm going to stuff .311s in some Lapua 53r cases.

thanks for all the feedback and Merry Christmas.

james

THEN .....

QUOTE=schaafman;704695]I'm actually starting up a small business for fine, collectible and antique firearms in Berkshire from my farm, so I'm looking for import connections in Europe and the US if you know anyone?

james[/QUOTE]

Happy Xmas everyone :D:p

Merry Christmas.

Now Muir have you ever had one the the Radom made (11) Polish ones. i thing most were carbines but by did the two that we had shoot well. Best with the Greenish lacquered steel case ammo. We got a couple from York Guns and they were 1950's manufacture.

If you mean factory 11 (and eleven inside a triangle) I did own one briefly. I found it in a shipment of Model 91/30's and it was a long rifle and pristine. I realized that is was an unusual rifle and gave it to my friend Jack who drools over Com-Block guns. It was dated 53 IIRC. (tho a nagging though makes me think it was 1952) He still has it, I'm sure.

Back on M-39's. I have also have a "B" barrel Model 39 that is fitted with a sniper bolt and a 1943 PU Russian scope. I am 99.99999% certain it is a put together gun but it is a shooting SOB, for sure. I'd like to take a deer with it sometime. ~Muir

Merry Christmas.

I had one back in the mid 80's, I paid the grand sum of $ 50 cdn for it and it was un-issued......god I'm old. It was probably one of the better finished Moisin Nagants I've owned, and one of the most accurate ( non-finnish ) Moisin-Nagants I've shot. The last Polish M-44 I saw for sale it was about $ 450 cdn.

And yes Andy, he is a very good friend of mine, but I do miss the rifle lol

Merry Xmas all, AB

Merry Christmas

Tuned in to help this guy ... like Muir ... thinking he was new to all this (I couldn't stop coughing as the greasy Xmas turkey was being cremated, but venison makes people heave ....... I'm told?).

Have posted much the same advice to his other thread on the same vein under Classifieds -Components Needed. Not even acknowledged, but that's not unusual now on SD.

Now this trail emerges .........

THEN...........

THEN .....

QUOTE=schaafman;704695]I'm actually starting up a small business for fine, collectible and antique firearms in Berkshire from my farm, so I'm looking for import connections in Europe and the US if you know anyone?

james

Happy Xmas everyone :D:p[/QUOTE]

Something to add to the discussion. :)

Muir, I think you remember this one from a mutual friend of ours...

Finn Nagant Sniper.jpg

Back