Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best brass

Best brass

I'm sure this has come up before but what is the best brass for reloading in.243 & 7mm-08.
    I was reloading 7mm-08 last night and under inspection found a split neck my mate found like wise with his .243 brass ( same make).

I'm thinking Lapua,Sako or Norma. What say you guys.

Opinions please ???

I picked up some nice once fired RWS .308 brass. One pass through the 7mm08 dies does the conversion perfectly.
    Similarly with GGG 7,62 brass.
    Why spend fortunes on posh brass unnecessarily?

When I went from Lapua .308 to 7mm-08 it was too thick and needed a slight neck turn.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

lap for .308 & norma for .243 for me

Lapua is generally the best and most consistent brass you can purchase. However all brass will work harden and split eventually after repeated firings. The budget makes can be made to perform and last equally as well (taking inti account power of loads, reloading technique, annealing between firings etc.) and are fine for field shooting. Lapua for match / long range accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by white van man View Post
    I'm sure this has come up before but what is the best brass for reloading in.243 & 7mm-08.
    I was reloading 7mm-08 last night and under inspection found a split neck my mate found like wise with his .243 brass ( same make).

I'm thinking Lapua,Sako or Norma. What say you guys.

Opinions please ???
    I'm currently using Nosler, Lapua and Norma brass. I've used RWS with success in the past with my 243 AI. I also used Sako brass when I had a 243. I found the Federal and Remington brass hard work for my 260 Rem. It does depend on what you want to achieve. Although primarily I'm an amateur roe stalker, I'm also trying to hit paper at up to 600m with my stalking rifles. I've tried to get into a minimal brass prep regime that means that I'm not picking and choosing cases for different jobs or performing different prep steps. Basically, I've picked 'premium' brass which I full length resize and anneal.

Regards

JCS

Lapua brass is some the best out there. Although I'm currently using once fired Federal brass in the .243.

I have used Federal brass in the .243 for years as it has been available free and I have several hundred .
    I have used Remington in the 30-06 that was once fired in a friend's rifle. He is not interested in loading so gave me the brass . I have some Lapua for the 30-06 but didn't buy that either.
    I have used RWS, S&B and Winchester in the .22 Hornet and that all came free too . The Winchester will hold more powder in .22 Hornet than the others.
    For recreational stalking and a bit of vermin shooting, I really don't think there is much real difference for all practical purposes.
    If one is target shooting or interested in precision stuff then that is a different matter I understand. My experience is that most brands will do the job fine, if you look after it.
    Whatever you use don't mix the brands in a batch of ammo as that will make a difference of the undesirable type.

I load for 7-08 and have used Norma and Nosler brass. Both are excellent with many firings and still going strong.

ATB

Penyard

+1 Lapua
    Your a long time dead, enjoy every day like it's your last!!!