Opinel No 8

Great knifes good old fashioned carbon steel one of the easiest knifes to keep sharp.
But beware the turnaround swivel that locks the blade after time i have had them turn completely round when this happens they can become very dangers.
They also can come open in your pocket.

great knives,i've had one for as long as i can remember.
used for just about everything.
they are easy to keep a nice edge on.
they are also available in stainless .
all the best,
fbrad.

They also can come open in your pocket.

new design has a notch to lock shut

I picked up a "carbone" one in a supermarket in France, right next to the till in amongst the sweets!
Got to love the French sensibilities

have given up on a Buck fixed blade and a couple of Finnish things and now carry one of these for gralloching

Its like a razor, light and small

Sharp is the word alright. But I never felt totally safe with mine, so it tends to sit safely in a drawer. Probably says more about me than the knife, to be honest.

Sharp is the word alright. But I never felt totally safe with mine, so it tends to sit safely in a drawer. Probably says more about me than the knife, to be honest.

I severed a finger tip as a 13yr old with a No.10.
9 hrs in surgery and 6 weeks in a middle finger splint (try explaining that to the teacher you just gave the finger too inadvertently!!)

one way to learn about the lock collar that you won't forget

I severed a finger tip as a 13yr old with a No.10.
9 hrs in surgery and 6 weeks in a middle finger splint (try explaining that to the teacher you just gave the finger too inadvertently!!)

one way to learn about the lock collar that you won't forget
Stalker in the next village did similar to his knuckle very nasty ,like the opinal but wouldn't use one for deer work as there are many cheep safe alternatives .
norma

I have not seen an engraved one before, that is quite cool. They are good knives but you do have to watch that the locking mechanism is set right or it can bite you, which I prefer a non folder for the field. They do a neat folding saw that has been a favorite if you don't want to pack a Laplander while out.

I picked this one and another one with a dog flushing birds as I liked them and they were silly cheep in Italy. Not a serious knife for deer work but I know people who do. I have the other one away as a gift. Never seen them in the Uk engraved.

Thanks for that link mate.
Always rated these knives very highly but regularly lost mine.Those brightly coloured ones might be just the ticket for me

i have used them for nearly 40 yrs and wouldn't be without one i too removed the tip of a finger at scout camp in stoneleigh when i forgot to lock it,i can still see the mark , if they open in your pocket your not using it enough and the wood has dried out :cool:
when we were teenagers one of my friends got a display knife from somewhere it was 2ft long when opened and just as sharp as it's little brothers i don't know what happened to it would be nice to have now

Got to be a bright one for me Norma so I can find it when its rusted along my trap line or stuck in a tree after cutting snare pegs :doh:

I got a No8 in a Decathlon shop in France a couple of years back for the equivalent of about £7-50. It mostly lives in the kitchen where it is very much the weapon of choice for thinly slicing tomatoes, lemons, limes and the like. The locking ring on the modern ones can also lock the blade closed, so it won't open in your pocket; trouble is that the same locking ring means you cannot just carry it around with you without good reason.

I have used these knives for nearly 30 years.The annoying thing about them is when they get wet the wood swells and you have to hit the end of the handle on something solid to coax the blade out.

Back