Thread: Non toxic shot

Non toxic shot

I have been using steel shot in shot gun for shooting so I can safely feed anything shot to my goshawks but today I went out for pheasants with lead shot to get some for me. I thought I was missing a lot with the steel but today I found I hit a lot more and at greater distance. I shot a squirrel the other day and skinned it to eat myself and at 20yds the steel had only just penetrated the skin. Steel shot is just not heavy enough but after looking at the price of other non toxic shot the are just simply to expensive. What are people using instead of lead?

I've found steel shot not very effective does not seem to drop wildfowl as well stopped and now use hevi shot but ouch they hurt the wallet

I reload ITM & Bismuth in a 12 & 28 bore. ITM is probably better but I found a slab of 20 bore bismuth cartridges for sale in the back of a dusty pile of bin ends for 40 last year, so I 5kg of bismuth 5's to unload and reload now!

Most of my ducks are shot on flight ponds though so all pretty close up stuff.

Steel shot cartridge is a strange animal I shoot a lot of ducks with it I use 32grm no4 Rio's and they will kill mallard out to 40yds after that you need a fast dog I was out last night on the flood meadows 2 mallard with one shot at about 30yds and a left and right at Teal, one at 35yds one at 40, the dog had to chase the 40yd one.
    But teal are not very big
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

They make some stuff over here called "Nice Shot" is supposed to qualify as non toxic and supposedly the closest to actual lead shot . I wanna get some for my W&C Scott Damascus 10 gauge so I can plow a couple ducks and a Canada !

I use steel also to shoot stuff to feed the redtail, I use 3" mag gamebore steel 3s or 4s and out of my Benneli sa with improved cylinder, it pillow cases pigeons at 45 yards, I also use it on duck and geese, out wildfowling, the thing with steel is it is great if its pushed fast, but obviously you must have a steel proof gun to use the high performance stuff,Tungsten matrix and heavy shot are good but damn expensive, the new Eley lightning steel is supposed to be very good, 1650 fps, so will be giving it a try on the duck soon.

Hevi shot for me. Not sure where the previous poster got 1650fps from? Eley say 1410fps. It is another stupid law, you can stand near a pond/river all day and fire hundreds of lead cartridges at Pheasants or Pigeons etc but not one at a Duck! What a joke!

Quote Originally Posted by RPA 6MM BR View Post
    Hevi shot for me. Not sure where the previous poster got 1650fps from? Eley say 1410fps. It is another stupid law, you can stand near a pond/river all day and fire hundreds of lead cartridges at Pheasants or Pigeons etc but not one at a Duck! What a joke!
    Amen to that, bloody stupid law. But we have to adhere to it ad are left with sub standard ammunition. Soon after the ban I invested in a 10 bore which I load with tungsten matrix BB's, 2.5 ounce. Those cartridges are mustard for geese as far as non toxic goes, I use a slightly smaller load for dick which is a bit cheaper but have pulled some exceptionally high Mallard with the big load. I also loaded some BB lead (had 14kg left over for the puntgun after the ban.) for Rook and Crow shooting, holy hell that pulls them down. As for 12 bore the steel loads I have tried are in general utter toot. You tend to find that duck will carry the shot and die hundreds of yards on. Having a good dog is helpful then.

The rest of the alternatives are almost prohibitively expensive if you get out on ducks more than 2 or 3 times a year and are... You guessed it. No really as good as lead, although I have only tried the really early Hevi Shot loads, they may have come on a bit since then.

Tungsten matrix performs well out of my 12 and isn't quite as expensive as Hevi Shot.

As has been said before, steel is pretty good for pigeons, to the point where it is a bit of a surprise how ***** it is on Wildfowl.

What at size steel shot/cartridge have you been using? I use 3.5 inch Gamebore 1's. They do seem to carry the energy a bit better than the smaller loads but I suppose that would be obvious.