Thread: Advice sought

Advice sought

I will have the chance next year to hunt wild boar in Italy. The ground is very hard and mountainous, so what ever I choose to shoot with will have to be cheap and robust. I need a weapon that will enable me to shoot fast at moving targets, preferably with more than one shot. I'm cosidering two options at the moment:-

O/U rifle perhaps a Baikal. Has anyone here owned one? Are there any issues with keeping the barrels true and zeroed at a given range (regulated)?

Cheap O/U shotgun. Open choked so that I can use breneke type slugs. What range can I expect these to be accurate to?

Any feedback would be most welcome, but please only first hand experience.

Thanks in anticipation,

Buckup

I've only got one boar trip under my belt so far so I'm sure some more experienced folk will be along... but in the meantime, re rifle vs. shotgun - personally from what I have seen so far this will depend entirely on the sort of terrain you will be shooting in, what sort of range of visibility you will have, what sort of range the pigs tend to be and also how confident you feel with each type of gun.

For example:

longer range (50-100+ yds), or possibility of high seat, more open, less cover = rifle

Closer range ( ~50 yds), denser cover, less time to react = shotgun

Regarding slugs, many modern slugs can be fired through any choke, although you will find that accuracy varies - each setup has a sweet spot, usually a bit of choke is best, wide open cylinder choke or full choke often causes worse accuracy. There is no reason why you couldn't get 6" groups at 100 yds.

If you are going to go shotgun then why not go semi auto and get more shots?

Don't know much about double rifles so I'll leave that to someone else.

Alex

(p.s. should this be in the wild boar section? )

SD Regular
    I would ask those that are arranging it to advise you. Sometimes you might even get the odd advice of either a lever action rifle or just a plain good 7mm minimum bolt rifle. 300 Winchester Magnum is quite a favourite in some places for this.

Quote csl

longer range (50-100+ yds), or possibility of high seat, more open, less cover = rifle

Closer range ( ~50 yds), denser cover, less time to react = shotgun

Regarding slugs, many modern slugs can be fired through any choke,

Hi Alex

I had a 12 bore 12 shot pump that i used for practical shotgun competitions..

The solid slugs i used definately could not be used through any choke size..

Are you sure that statement is correct ??..

Any advice greatfully recieved

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1
    Quote csl
    Hi Alex

I had a 12 bore 12 shot pump that i used for practical shotgun competitions..

The solid slugs i used definately could not be used through any choke size..

Are you sure that statement is correct ??..

Any advice greatfully recieved

Terry
    Hi Terry,

Practical shotgunner here too! Yes, most of the popular Brenneke slugs with the rifled fins on can be used in any choke. They just squash down on the way out.

You are right in saying some cannot be used with choke though, the solid finless types should not. I guess the message is read the literature for the slugs you are using!

More info: http://www.brennekeusa.com/web/text/faq.html

Generally best accuracy comes with about 1/4 choke in my Benelli

regards,

Alex