Thread: Curious about Coatings

Curious about Coatings

I have often read about rifles and moderators being coated or dipped and am curious.
    All mine are wood and blued.
    What do these various coatings actually do ? Do they give practical benefits or are they purely cosmetic i.e. a form of 'bling' ?
    I am not thinking of having any of mine done but just curious.

They give excellent protection from the elements, blood etc. not just for bling!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    I have often read about rifles and moderators being coated or dipped and am curious.
    All mine are wood and blued.
    What do these various coatings actually do ? Do they give practical benefits or are they purely cosmetic i.e. a form of 'bling' ?
    I am not thinking of having any of mine done but just curious.
    Ive worked with most coatings out there for Firearms since 2004 and used them professionally since 2007.
    Dipping is all but bling, doesn't offer any benefit other than camouflage.
    The main coatings I use offer superior protection to the elements are highly corrosion and abrasion resistant.
    They work very well in extreme temperatures as well as during normal weapon function. They are resistant to oil, grease and solvents used in your cleaning regime.

In essence they do what they say on the tin providing you know what you're doing with them.
    Last edited by Jager SA; 26-12-2013 at 10:41.

I Have Just had my sako 85 S/S done by James of Jager sa in Ceracoat dark gunmetal grey . I could not have the stock done as the plastic has a dislike to the paint on it and reacts. My ss was just to bright in the sun, it also protects the metal work as it is a ceramic coating .if you do not need it or get fed up you can just get it glass bead removed and a nice new rifle is still under the coating . talk to James he the man for info.

Edit: James beat me to it lol
    Last edited by paul o'; 26-12-2013 at 10:25.

I was infact referring to the coatings that James Clarke provides!

Attachment 36047
    It can cover a 'multitude of sins' on a semi-custom rifle too!
    This would have been a Satin SS Mod, Stainless Lilja Barrel, Blued Sako 75 action/Mag/Trigger unit, Black Macmillan stock, Blued rings which may have looked a bit odd?
    It now has a Cerakote (ceramic based) finish which is extremely durable and practical for the work I do which can be quite punishing on a rifle at times.
    I choose a rifle for reliability, practicality and low maintainance. A good durable finish can certainly help towards this!
    (This is a Jager SA creation in .280 AI flavour!)
    MS