Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sako Quad range.

Sako Quad range.

Anyone seen one in the flesh? Better still anyone handled one that has or had a Finnfire range ?

I kick myself repeatedly for selling my FF range. That being said I have the option of the Quad in .22wmr or .17 HMR which wasn't available in the FF.

Experiences?

Got the .22 wmr quad and it shoots half inch groups at 50 yards, about one and a half inches at 100 yds. .22 lr barrel is accurate at 70 yds but beyond that forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Parsons View Post
    Got the .22 wmr quad and it shoots half inch groups at 50 yards, about one and a half inches at 100 yds. .22 lr barrel is accurate at 70 yds but beyond that forget it.
    Unless this is a stability problem (50 grain bullets) how does this happen with your 22WMR? Likewise the 22LR? Barrels just don't lose accuracy at longer ranges; especially at distances within the operating realm of the cartridge. Bullets lose stability or the Wind Gods raise hell with you, but that's not the gun's fault.~Muir

Guys thanks for the replies, I am familiar with the Quad in Hunter and Synthetic guises, It is the Quad Range I am interested in. The one with a semi target stock (much like a rim fire version of my Tikka sporter).

Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Bullets lose stability or the Wind Gods raise hell with you, but that's not the gun's fault.~Muir
    Or variances in muzzle velocity start to play a role too big. This would be a fault in gun/ammunition combination.

Quote Originally Posted by jthyttin View Post
    Or variances in muzzle velocity start to play a role too big. This would be a fault in gun/ammunition combination.
    No. Variances in muzzle velocity are an ammunition problem: Period. Has nothing to do with the rifle. (Autoloaders may be the exception) To say a .22 is accurate at 70 yards but goes to pot beyond, or that a 22WMR is accurate at 50M but triples group size at 100M, is environmental influence or a stability problem. I shoot both of these calibers at 100M all the time.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    No. Variances in muzzle velocity are an ammunition problem: Period. Has nothing to do with the rifle. (Autoloaders may be the exception)
    Of course it may have something to do with the rifle. Especially if the ammunition is kind of fixed like with rimfire. There may be some internal issues like worn throat (OK not usually rimfire), bulge in barrel or some such that sometimes amplify the variances in ammunition. I've seen firsthand that a bulge in 22LR barrel caused more variance in muzzle velocities. This was actually by accident since we were shooting to prove the drop in accuracy, but shot over chrono and I studied the sheets later. Btw we shot at 50m so I don't believe velocity variance caused the drop in accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by jthyttin View Post
    Of course it may have something to do with the rifle. Especially if the ammunition is kind of fixed like with rimfire. There may be some internal issues like worn throat (OK not usually rimfire), bulge in barrel or some such that sometimes amplify the variances in ammunition. I've seen firsthand that a bulge in 22LR barrel caused more variance in muzzle velocities. This was actually by accident since we were shooting to prove the drop in accuracy, but shot over chrono and I studied the sheets later. Btw we shot at 50m so I don't believe velocity variance caused the drop in accuracy.
    Well yes, a bad barrel is another issue.
    In a good rifle, the barrel has little to do with non-linear accuracy when used within it's working range.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Parsons View Post
    my WMR shoots 1/2-3/4" groups at 100yds all day long, mixture of 33gr and 40grainers
    The M2 shoots 1/2" at 100yds - 17gr VMax
    The HMR I found more fussy and shoots around the 1" mark at 100yds - tried 17 and 20gr

the .22lr is comically accurate. touching holes off stick in the dark at 50yds. I shoot out to 80, 90, 100yds with subs no problem.
    mine prefers Win Subs or Eley but it has been fed RWS, Eley, CCI and Winchester over its lifespan

I just bought a 15" barrel which on first use was shooting 1/2-3/4" at 50yds on a night test/ hope to improve that with an ammo test

I saw one in a gunshop in Essex a few months back, the RFD had got it in for a bloke, it looked the nuts but was VERY expensive (I think over a grand) looked a nice bit of kit though !