Bloody Spaniel

shootingduckdog

Had a Boxing Day walk out today for a pheasant or 2. There were several of us so a few walking and a couple standing was the form.

First drive was a flush off a small pond. I thought it would be empty as it seemed frozen but there was forever of mallard and teal on there, probably in excess of 200. A few were dropped so off to a good start.

Any how the next drive was a push through a long thin wood.so I was walking with my 2 spaniels. (both 10 yrs old I might add). As we approached the end of the wood a bird lifted and curled back over me, I hit it second barrel and Tilly went for it. She disappeared into a ditch and I waited but no sign. We were only 40m or so from the end of the wood so we finished the drive as I assumed she was tracking a runner. Still no sign tho and I got concerned. I walked back down the wood, by now convinced she must be stuck on a fence. I heard a dog wailing in the distance but it sounded very far away. No sign anywhere and I started walking back up the wood. A mate called me as he had heard the howling and walked into the wood, he was convinced the dog was underground. The pics tell the rest of the story;

She had gone down a disused fox hole, presumably after the bird!! We never did get the pheasant

Did you just watch and take pictures whilst your mate did all the digging? ;)

No the opposite was true. He wanted to get the glory at the last minute!! I also had to rollock him for jumping into the hole. On other hand got on a lot quicker with his and Rods help!!

Well done - great relief all round. Had similar with my previous cocker, except I saw her disappear down the hole. With my arm in up to the arm pit, I could just get a my hand on her and she still had the pheasant in her mouth as I dragged her out.

Back