Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roe male fallowers

roe male fallowers

Hi all,one small question has anybody had the same and any reason why,well when i'm shooting on my ground at the moment all the doe followers i shoot are all males and not any does,any reason why or is it just me
    Last edited by big cat; 27-12-2013 at 13:26. Reason: edit

I'm actually finding it the opposite from you most of my followers are female

cause the sisters are smart... lettin brother feel important and go first..... Knowin they'll get more to eat soon enough...

Quote Originally Posted by big cat View Post
    Hi all,one small question has anybody had the same and any reason why,well when i'm shooting on my ground at the moment all the doe fallowers i shoot are all males and not any does,any reason why or is it just me
    I'm sorry and maybe I'm having a stupid moment but I don't understand what you're trying to say?
    Baguio

Read Followers not Fallowers

Thanks Tony, that's what I thought but surely people are not still shooting buck kids 8 weeks into the doe season? Is that normal for up North? I realise that it may be totally accepted and am not trying to start a bun fight!
    Baguio

Now I have a friend who along with his father have been shooting roe for a vast number of years. He told me once that he believes when numbers were up he noticed that more fawns were male and vice versa for fledgling populations.
    Atb steve

Established Poster
    View my Gallery (3)View my Gallery (3)
    We have mostly female followers on my farms this year.
    One of Mother Nature's wondrous ways of ensuring a balance for the future !

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by SussexFallow View Post
    Now I have a friend who along with his father have been shooting roe for a vast number of years. He told me once that he believes when numbers were up he noticed that more fawns were male and vice versa for fledgling populations.
    Atb steve
    That goes totally against what the current book I'm reading says. The deer managers companion by Rory Putman. His reasoning is that when numbers are high only the very best bucks will end up passing on their genes to future generations but each and every doe will reproduce. Therefore why lessen the chances of the genes being passed on by having buck kids when you can play the percentages game?
    He may be wrong of cause and it's only his theory as to why but the data has been taken from vast numbers of estates and it makes sense.

Baguio

I have read and also been told that most prey animals ie Roe deer and possibly antelope have the ability to self regulate the ratio of male/female with a higher number of females being produced during low population levels and more males when the population is stable. This amazing ability is influenced by hormone levels in the females which is governed by the population density.
    I must admit that I take female followers on sight and mature does only if I cannot reduce the numbers sufficiently and male followers purely as a welfare issue as I think the males have a long enough season as it is with plenty of opportunity to catch up with them after April.