Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed getting rid of a smell

Help needed getting rid of a smell

A couple of months ago the fridge freezer in my garage got accidentally switched off. There was nothing important in it, just deer feet & skins for dog training, parts of carcass & fox bait. By the time I found it the stench was awful. I've cleaned it all out, loads of bleach & detol disinfectant and got a few more bits in there again, although it is clean as new it still stinks.
    Any ideas how to get rid of the smell as I'm sure a few of you have been in similar situations
    Cheers wingy
    unless you can prove it beyond all reasonable doubt, it wasn't me. If you can prove it then you must be mistaken

Clean with a paste of bicarbonate of soda then leave an open container of bicarb in the freezer

+1 for the BiCab just leave a few plates of the stuff in there should get rid of the smell.
    Have you cleaned around and under the rubber seal this is the place the bacteria love to hide

Hope you get it sorted
    D

Bicarb but you could also wash with tomato ketchup first!

Happened to me once before. Fresh air and clean material does not smell so there must be something still there causing the smell. I found that fluids has seeped into the workings of the fridge and on to the concrete floor of the garage. I chucked the fridge and had to seal the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Happened to me once before. Fresh air and clean material does not smell so there must be something still there causing the smell. I found that fluids has seeped into the workings of the fridge and on to the concrete floor of the garage. I chucked the fridge and had to seal the floor.
    afraid so.....

teaspoon of Bicarb into a pint of warm water, spray over the inside and leave to air dry.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Thanks for the replies, not so sure about the Jays fluid as occasionally I'll put a few beers or meat for a BBQ in there.
    I'll try the bicarbonate soda, is this done with the fridge/freezer defrosted?
    I did clean under all the seals the best I could
    Cheers

Either - though better defrosted.
    Just pour a small pile of bicarb on a plate and put the plate and close the door.
    Leave for a day or two and hey presto!

I did this after it had been defrosted though the freezer was still on.
    That way there was no excess ice to hold on to the stink.